Rear carrier/rack?

All about the BT1100

Topic author
Bikermania62

Rear carrier/rack?

Beitrag von Bikermania62 »

Well I have to say that after a couple of months ownership of the Bulldog I don't regret my decision at all. The Bandit 600 that I part exed for it felt crude by comparison,yet just because the Bulldog doesn't go as hot as it looks,it's considered a failure by the media? Why can't it be viewed as a comfortable crusier with a decent set of clothes on? Anyhow,moan over..... my question realted to the availiability (or NON availability?) of acessories for the Buldog from Yamaha UK. Thue say it sold badly and therefore most of the things like rear racks and carriers were quickly deleted from the range. Anyhow,my question is this.... I have my eye on their rear rack (the black one that can accomodate their top box) on EBAY,but looks like the seller wants full wack for it? Well lads (and ladies!), are there alternatives to Yamaha's own please,as I want to keep the bike mostly original and don't want to stick Givi racks or similar on it? Thanks again :-) Brendan.

Tik

if you ask about topcase...

Beitrag von Tik »

I bought in 2005 a topcase which was sold as original Yamaha, in fact is a universal Givi for one helmet, only it's support was adapted for Bulldog. It's support broke in less than one month because it was poorly designed so I made some changes to that support (stronger fixation on sides and a different approach in the middle) and now is more than ok. You can see in the picture the support of the topcase:
Bild

i believe the plate under the topcase is universal, except fixation frame. If you cannot find a ready made one, I can send you drawings with frame specifications.
With topcase on, this is the only picture I have:
Bild

Givi was sold to me as original Yamaha.

Topic author
malagaklaus

Beitrag von malagaklaus »

Hi Brendan,
I bought my bulldog with a full carrier system of Krauser. As it wasn`t the most beautyfull I decided to take away the side carriers and stay with the rear rack (I need a topcase)
But, too much black tubes, I ordered last week the sw-motech alu rack which not seems so awfull as the rest.You can see it on there web site: www.mo-tech.de
I hope it works and doesn`t destroy this beautyful design of our bulldog.
saludos, Klaus

IIIrd

Beitrag von IIIrd »

hi,
i found this which might be of interest, 85 quid i believe.

http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures.dyn?u=2148006qqq5828561

Bild

Topic author
sully22252

Beitrag von sully22252 »

Hi

Having had three Bulldogs over the years I've had three different rear carriers.

The first was a genuine Yamaha silver finished carrier, which looked good but would not at the time (2002) satisfactorily take a Givi mounting plate for a topbox.

The second is the Givi rack which is shown in this thread already. This is really solid so if you plan on touring with a lot of weight in a topbox thats the one I would go for. It mounts via 4 bolts plus rests on the standard tailpiece on 2 rubber buffers.

The third is the Sw-Motech Alurack, which looks really good and is very neat but definitely isn't as sturdy as the Givi as it only mounts via 2 bolts into the tailpiece plus rests on rubber buffers. I wouldn't trust it to carry a heavily loaded topbox on a long tour, but maybe I'm doing it an injustice.

Currently on ebay, Item No. 350050699714 is the other genuine rear rack that Yamaha used to offer in the UK. It's brand new, but looking at the topbox mountings on it, I think this will only take a small Monolock Givi box, as opposed to the much heavier duty and larger Givi Monokey boxes.

I hope the above helps.

Chris

Mick P

Beitrag von Mick P »

Hi

i have had the Givi rack now for 3 years with the big top box nice solid fit, last year when we went on the international one of the lads had the yamaha rack and box the rack broke on the way there and we held it together with cable ties so sorry i would not recomend it.

Regards Mick P

Ben

Rack for Bulldog

Beitrag von Ben »

Hello Brendan, I have just ordered a Ventura rack and bag from road and race. Should get it in the next 2 days. will let you know how good it is. I have only heard good reports.

Martin_CZ
Beitrag von Martin_CZ »

I have a SW-motech product on my Bulldog and - exactly as sully22252 is writing, it does not look much solid; but anyway, if you have another look, it's smart-designed and the biggest risk I see would be a breakage of the plastic adapter. So far I have tested it with a fully loaded 44L Kappa, let's say 15kg on 2 holidays. Seems to be okay, but I am a bit nervous on bumpy roads.
I bought it for the design, next time I would look for more robust solution.

Topic author
malagaklaus

Martin_CZ hat geschrieben:I have a SW-motech product on my Bulldog and - exactly as sully22252 is writing, it does not look much solid; but anyway, if you have another look, it's smart-designed and the biggest risk I see would be a breakage of the plastic adapter. So far I have tested it with a fully loaded 44L Kappa, let's say 15kg on 2 holidays. Seems to be okay, but I am a bit nervous on bumpy roads.
I bought it for the design, next time I would look for more robust solution.
but 15 kg are really too much also for all systems. The most racks are legal apted for 5 kg.
The plastic adapter would't be a problem , only the 3 crews of the quicklock are not so trustful.

Martin_CZ
Beitrag von Martin_CZ »

malagaklaus hat geschrieben:but 15 kg are really too much also for all systems. The most racks are legal apted for 5 kg.
The plastic adapter would't be a problem , only the 3 crews of the quicklock are not so trustful.
No question about that - homologation is valid only for the weigth that you mention... but SW-motech themselves claim the rack to be capable of holding much more, which I can confirm. And on the other hand - you really need some luggage when you go for vacation. When something breaks, I'll post here :-)

And if you look at the rack system, actually there are no screws to hold the weigth; all is given by the shape. Screws only make sure that the position remains unchanged and keep the balance in the other direction from Earth's gravit. (hopefully I'm not wrong... mounted it year ago).

Martin

Topic author
malagaklaus

hopefully I'm not wrong... mounted it year ago).

Martin[/quote]

Hi Martin, I'll try it next week in a short 3-days Portugal Tour. Hope that it works.
regards, Klaus
Antworten