A Bulldog to Africa

All about the BT1100

Topic author
sully22252

A Bulldog to Africa

Beitrag von sully22252 »

Hi everyone, havn't posted for a while but I thought you might like to know that the Bulldog and I made it to Timbuktu and back with absolutely no problems, other than the things you can expect, such as snow, sandstorms, minefields etc.

It was a great trip, just under 9000 miles, or 14,000 Km and the Bulldog proved what a good tourer it makes, very comfortable over long distances, good fun on twisty roads and fast enough to stick with anyone I wanted to. The only limiting factor was the bash plate I'd had made up which I must have grounded 40 or 50 times through Spain and Morocco but it was worth having. Nothing broke and everything still worked fine at the end of the trip.

Maybe a 21inch front wheel and full knobbly tyres would have been nice off road but I was still able to ride confidently at about 80 kph on good quality dirt roads, but much slower on soft sand or badly corrugated roads. The Bulldog carries its weight low down and it has really good balance, which made it easier to handle off road than I expected, far better than something like the Varadero I took to America last year. The Pirelli Scorpion Syncs I fitted still gave traction in soft sand yet were really excellent on tarmac. I recommend them to anyone for everyday use.

If anyone plans to ride down that way, its tarmac all the way until you reach the border between Western Sahara (Moroccan Sahara as the Moroccans call it!)and Mauritania. Then you have No Mans Land to cross, about 4 Km of sand and rock. It was a minefield at one time as the wrecked cars in the area confirm but there are now defined tracks across it and as long as you stick to them you are OK. By next year they should have finished the road they are building from Nioro, just into Mali, down to Bamako, the capital, so you should be able to ride on tarmac all the way to Douentza in Mali, which is about 180 km from Timbuktu. The last 180 Km is all dirt and gets steadily worse the nearer you get to Timbuktu, but then nobody in their right mind would want to go there anyway as its a fly ridden, flea bitten dump in the middle of nowhere. Mali is great as is Morocco, but I'm afraid that Mauritania is the pits, poor roads (potholed tarmac), little fuel, dirty, dusty and not very friendly; paying bribes to everyone who looks official helps.

I've attached a photo of the Bulldog on the final stretch up to Timbuktu, when the roads were getting really bad!

moppedwolf
Labertaschen Moderator
Vorname: Wolf

Beitrag von moppedwolf »

babelfish lyrics:

Hallo dachte jeder, das havn't, das für eine Weile aber bekanntgegeben wurden, ich, daß Sie, daß die Bulldogge und ich Timbuktu es und Rückseite mit absolut keinen Problemen bildeten, anders als die Sachen, die Sie, wie Schnee, sandstorms, Minefields usw. erwarten können, wissen mögen konnten. Es war eine große Reise, gerade unter 9000 Meilen, oder 14.000 Kilometer und die Bulldogge prüften, daß was ein gutes tourer es, lange Abstände des sehr bequemen Überschusses, guter Spaß auf twisty Straßen bildet und genug fastet, um mit jedermann zu haften, wünschte ich zu. Der einzige Begrenzungsfaktor war die Schlagplatte, die ich hatte gebildet wurde, dem ich 40 oder 50mal durch Spanien und Marokko geerdet haben muß, aber es war zu haben. Nichts brach und allesWAR noch am Ende der Reise adaequat. Möglicherweise würden ein vorderes Rad 21inch und volle knobbly Reifen weg von der Straße nett gewesen sein, aber ichWAR noch in der Lage, an kph ungefähr 80 sicher zu fahren auf gute Qualitätsschmutzstraßen, aber viel langsamer auf weichen Sand oder schlecht gerunzelte Straßen. Die Bulldogge trägt seinen niedrigen Abstieg des Gewichts und er hat wirklich gute Balance, die es einfacher, weg von der Straße, als bildete anzufassen ich erwartete, weit besser als etwas wie das Varadero, das ich nach Amerika letztes Jahr nahm. Das Pirelli Scorpion Syncs, das ich noch paßte, gab, Zugkraft im weichen Sand dennoch war auf Tarmac wirklich ausgezeichnet. Ich empfehle sie jedermann für täglichen Gebrauch. Wenn jedermann plant, hinunter so zu reiten, sein Tarmac vollständig, bis Sie den Rand zwischen Westsahara erreichen (marokkanischer Sahara, wie die Marokkaner it!)and Mauretanien benennen. Dann haben Sie kein bemannen Land, um zu kreuzen, ungefähr 4 Kilometer des Sandes und Felsen. Es war ein Minefield auf einmal, wie die ruinierten Autos im Bereich bestätigen, aber es jetzt definierte Schienen über ihm gibt und so lang, wie Sie an ihnen haften, Sie OKAY sind. Bis zum folgendem Jahr sollten sie die Straße, die sie Gebäude von Nioro, sind gerade in Mali beendet haben, unten nach Bamako, das Kapital, also sollten Sie sein, auf Tarmac zu Douentza in Mali vollständig zu fahren, das ungefähr 180 Kilometer von Timbuktu ist. Der letzte 180 Kilometer ist aller Schmutz und erhält ständig schlechter, Sie an Timbuktu das näher gelangen, aber dann würde niemand in ihrem rechten Verstand als sein dort irgendwie gehen wollen eine gerittene Fliege, Floh gebissenes Dump mitten in nirgendwo. Mali ist groß, wie Marokko ist, aber ich bin ängstlich, daß Mauretanien die Gruben ist, schlechte Straßen (potholed Tarmac), wenig Kraftstoff nicht sehr freundlich, schmutzig, staubig und; Bestechungsgelder zahlen jeder, das amtliche Hilfen schaut. Ich habe ein Foto der Bulldogge auf der abschließenden Ausdehnung bis zu Timbuktu angebracht, als die Straßen wirklich schlecht erhielten!

Muahahahhaaha ich denke sully meinte etwas anderes! :lol: :lol:

Hi sully,
thx for this comment. I tried it with babelfish-translator, but there comes a lit bit nonsense. :lol: :lol:
Now I think I read it by my little brain. :twisted:

Bye + stay healthy.
Wolf
WolfsGruss :wave: Unfall? Früher hatte ich zwei linke Hände, heute eine rechte! :mrgreen:
Cop'n'crashfree season!!![/i] :wink:

Topic author
Waidler

Beitrag von Waidler »

Hi Sully

thanks for sharing this. What a phantastic trip, far beyond the usual, at least with a Bulldog. This must have been real fun. Would be great if you could load a few pictures to the forum. Great stuff. super.gif

@ Wolf: den Müll :shock: solltest du mal an babelfish posten :P :P . Das ist ja so schräg, das könnte sich nicht mal der Helge so ausdenken :P

Cheers
Waidler

Topic author
malagaklaus

Beitrag von malagaklaus »

moppedwolf hat geschrieben:babelfish lyrics:

Hi sully,
thx for this comment. I tried it with babelfish-translator, but there comes a lit bit nonsense. :lol: :lol:
Now I think I read it by my little brain. :twisted:

Bye + stay healthy.
Wolf
Oh my god, was ein super Übersetzungsprogramm. Ist gratis, nicht?
Trotzdem danke Herr Wolf.

kind regards, Klaus

WullDee
Vorname: Waldi
Beitrag von WullDee »

Hi Sully!
Nice report, haven't understood all parts but the most.
Remembers me of a song of a danish Metal band called D-A-D: "Down The Dusty Third World Road"
Unfortunately the pic is missing but I'm sure you will upload it (them?) soon ...
Die linke Hand zum Gruß,
Waldi

Bild

YouTube ...... https://www.youtube.com/user/WullDee
Instagram ... https://www.instagram.com/wull_dee/

chim
Vorname: Norbert

Beitrag von chim »

yatzee...
Europe - Timbuktu - and all the way back with our Bulldog.
The only words that come to my my mind are: strange, crazy and yeehaa.
I couldn't imagine till now that some1 is takin a Bulldog for those trips - till now.

What you really got to do do is sharing some pictures with us.
Still can't believe it. Great ... :)

John w

Beitrag von John w »

Wow Sully!

This adventure of yours makes my trips/tours to Germany and Wales (yes, Wales!!!) seem like a trip to the shops. :oops: I look forward to seeing the pics!

Yours enviously,

John W book2.gif

Axman
Vorname: Axel

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Chris,

and WOW again.. :shock: I can´t think of a more inappropriate bike than the Bullog for this kind of trip..(by the way, what modifications did you make, to make the dog desert-worthy??) big kudos to you.. :=D>:
Your trip seems to be in the same leage as the one taken by some crazy italian (or was he french??) who went to Dakar on a standard Benelli TNT... and it deserves a much more detailed story...what about it?? And a few pictures would be fine too..

We would love to see you - and all the other Brits - at our "International Meeting" this summer. What about it??

Greets from the even more envious

Axman
...es ist ein Zeichen von Intelligenz seine Grenzen zu kennen..

moppedwolf
Labertaschen Moderator

Beitrag von moppedwolf »

Hi,
Axman, that was a english guy with a brand new driver license & new TnT!!! :wink:

Sully, great report and as chim said: YYEEEHHAAAAHH!!!
But please tell me: what is a bash plate that crashed several times at your trip??

Thx a lot for some pic's. :wink:

hopefully :wave:
Wolf
WolfsGruss :wave: Unfall? Früher hatte ich zwei linke Hände, heute eine rechte! :mrgreen:

Axman
Vorname: Axel

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Wolf

eine "bash-plate" ist eine Rahmen-/Ölwannenschutz-Platte, meist aus dickem Aluminium, wie du sie bei Hard-Enduros oder Crossern findest.. :wink:

Grüßle

Axel
...es ist ein Zeichen von Intelligenz seine Grenzen zu kennen..

moppedwolf
Labertaschen Moderator

Beitrag von moppedwolf »

Hi Axel,
ich danke Dir.
Er hat sich also solch eine Bash plate montiert und war rund 40 mal aufgesetzt, so das diese Platte durchaus sinnvoll war.
Jetzt hab ich das geschnallt. :idea: :idea: :idea:

thx!! :P

LG
Wolf

chim

Beitrag von chim »

http://dict.leo.org/

Für weitere Fragen ;)

moppedwolf
Labertaschen Moderator

Beitrag von moppedwolf »

Hi chim,
mit leo hatte ich es auch gecheckt, aber die können m.W. keine kompletten Texte übersetzen.

Obwohl wenn ich das obige so lese, kann es babelfish auch nicht, gelle??!!! :twisted:

ciaoi

chim

Beitrag von chim »

Kann der Fish überhaupt was - ausser stinken vielleicht? :lol:

moppedwolf
Labertaschen Moderator

Beitrag von moppedwolf »

Babelfish??

antwort 42!! :wink:

Der Name Babelfish kommt von dem Übersetzungsfisch den sich der Bub
am Anfang von "Per Anhalter durch die Galaxis" ins Ohr gesteckt hatte! :twisted:

Hi sully,
sorry we are drifting away from your repaot,
but the time for looking your photos ist still too long. :twisted:

Maybe you can make it online at :arrow: www.pixum.de for example. :wink:
bye! :wave:
Wolf
Antworten