Pyrenées ´08

all about bike events and meets

Topic author
Martin_CZ
Pyrenées ´08

Beitrag von Martin_CZ »

Hello,

first of all - good luck to you all in 2008, thanks for this site (which had already costed me €180 on the carb set and Wilbers forks set :-) )!

I'm considering where to go in 2008; I've seen nearly all of the Alps so Pyrenees are in question. Do you have any motorcycling-related info about this location? That would not be a nice surprise to find all the roads gravel-surfaced or something like that :shock:

And for the weather - how does the Bulldog behave in very warm air? Could happen that I take it farhter to Spain, where the temps could easily go above 37° in shade. For myself I will buy a klapp-helmet, but what about the Dog?

Martin

Topic author
Martin_CZ
Beitrag von Martin_CZ »

Well, I'back from Pyrenees. Satisfied, and more than that - I never imagined there could be such a wonderful place to take a biking tour!

Concerning technics, I have done some 5.800 kms - 4000 on highways (130kmh) and the rest on French/Spanish roads, fully loaded with my girlfriend, 3 cases and a tankbag.
- down there, even at highway speed I could notice the oil temperature was around 100˚C. That could be the only reason why my Dog has consumed 0,75L of engine oil.
- I put on the Dunlop Roadsmart tires before leaving and I have to praise the 2-compound tire on such journey; doing such distance on highway always results in a "flat" shaped rear tire; this does NOT apply to 2-compounds, that means the handling was not affected when we reached the curvy roads.

The roads there are incredible: we haven't experienced any poor-quality road, except for 1 pass which was in reconstruction. Low traffic & high fun factor guaranteed!

Weather was just OK; the mountains are a kind of barrier, which keeps the clouds on French side. Spain was always with blue-sky. Even in Andorra, which is 2400m hign, the temp was 26˚C.

So even though I am a great fan of the Alps, I must admit: the Pyrenees are better. Not so high, not so majestic, but not so crowded and the weather is much more stable. Next time I plan a 1-week biking tour, I definitely take a trailer with Bulldog and I go by car there (the highway part is absolutely boring for me).

I'll send some pictures when they are ready.

Martin

WullDee
Vorname: Waldi
Beitrag von WullDee »

Hi Martin,
good to hear that you travelled the Pyrenees and get back without any trouble.
I've never been there, but maybe some time ...
Hope to see you on the 6th Int'l in the Alps area.
Die linke Hand zum Gruß,
Waldi

Bild

YouTube ...... https://www.youtube.com/user/WullDee
Instagram ... https://www.instagram.com/wull_dee/

Topic author
Martin_CZ
Beitrag von Martin_CZ »

Yes, actually I have been waiting for it - when someone organizes a BT-meeting where a curvy road leads :-D so far it always have been 700kms on German autobahn, which might be quite fun on a full-fairing-230kmh-no-problem motorcycle... but definitely not on a naked Dog (not for me...).
For Alps, I definely will sign in!

WullDee
Vorname: Waldi
Beitrag von WullDee »

Hi,
the 6th Int'l will be held from 11th to 14th of June in 2009.
Read more >>>HERE<<<
Die linke Hand zum Gruß,
Waldi

Bild

YouTube ...... https://www.youtube.com/user/WullDee
Instagram ... https://www.instagram.com/wull_dee/

Topic author
Martin_CZ
Beitrag von Martin_CZ »

I have finished the travel report (it's taking longer with me getting older...):
www.motoborgo.net/pyreneje.htm
It's all in Czech, but the image gallery should be accessible (note for IE7 users - it's not working properly; try other browser if you can).

Martin
Antworten