Removing the AIS system

All about the BT1100

Topic author
BTLEE

Removing the AIS system

Beitrag von BTLEE »

Hi

I am new to this forum (although I have an FJR1300 and two Maxim 700 X's) and bought an '03 model' Bulldog which was unregistered and is brand new, last month.

I find that there is some backfiring on decelleration. This was there with the oem exhausts but is much, much louder with the new 'Fuel' slip ons.

I see that in the US (on the VStar 1100) they remove the AIS and plug the ports with aluminium plugs (cost 23.50 USD) and claim that this eliminates backfiring and popping.

Has anyone in Europe tried this and is it a success ?

Thanks, and Best Regards
Linden Lee, Dublin, Ireland

Günter
Vorname: Günter

Beitrag von Günter »

Hi,

I haven't heard about this in this forum, but some guys in the french forum have some experience with removing the AIS.

Look here:

http://bulldog.yamaha.free.fr/accueil.htm

and change to "Suppression de l'AIS" on the left side.

Best regards

Guenter

Axman
Vorname: Axel

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Linden,

what else, except the new exhaust, have you modified ??

I haven´t any experience with removing the AIS, here in Germany it usually isn´t done.

To get your Engine running up to its potential, remove the stops in the carburettors, change the airbox cover for a TDM unit (or any other cover like from www.yamaha-krause.de or Topham for example) and rejet the carbs with 135 main jets.

Now you´ll have a few horses more, a lot more torque and no more vibrations between 3.000 and 4.000 rpm...but it will still backfire now and then :wink: ...it´s nothing to worry about.

Cheers

from the Axman

Topic author
BTLEE

Beitrag von BTLEE »

Thanks for the quick responses.

I have removed the carb restrictors, fitted the Fuel slip-ons, K and N air filter and am waiting for the Topham inlet and jets to arrive.

Here are the AIS plugs I mentioned:- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AIS-Remo ... 2175QQrdZ1

The removal instructions show the 'lazymans way to disable the AIS', so I will try this first to see if it makes any difference.

I love the unique look, the sound and the handling of the Bulldog and am not too worried about top speed (I can use the FJR for that). I would like to get the best out of the dogs engine.

Best Regards

Andi
Vorname: Andi

Beitrag von Andi »

Axman hat geschrieben:
I haven´t any experience with removing the AIS, here in Germany it usually isn´t done.

@ axel,

soweit meine englischkenntnisse reichen, stimmt die aussage nicht so ganz,
guckst du

Axman

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi again,

the user "Andi" reminded me, the he did remove the AIS-System...sorry for that.

But as far as I know, he is the only one.

Cheers

from the Axman

sandro
Vorname: Sandro

Beitrag von sandro »

Hi Axman,

I know another crazy German who did that: :wink:
http://forum.bulldog-bt1100.de/viewtopi ... c&&start=0
Unfortunately, my english is too "bad" to explain my experiences here (I already had problems to do that in german :roll: )
But only so much,BTLEE: I would do it again (the removing of the AIS).

Bildsandro

Topic author
BTLEE

Beitrag von BTLEE »

I fitted the Allens kit intake and 132.5 jets (that came with it) this afternoon. The float bowl screws are extremely tight and easily damaged. There is a definite improvement in accelleration at all speeds in all gears.

Just for test purposes, I took this opportunity to remove the AIS valve unit (2 bolts) and join the black metal pipes with a piece of rubber breather tubing. Backfiring is completely gone !! apart from the very occassional very muffled pop - almost unnoticeable even going down hills - in my view a major improvement.

I am hoping to try to fine tune the pilot jet mixture using a colortune, and will remove the black tubing and try blanking off at the AIS exhaust elbows instead.

On an non Bulldog topic, a group of 7 of us are planning to ride from Cherbourg to the Nurburgring. We will return via Roscoff 5 days later. Do any of you, have recommendations of 'must see', 'must stay' or 'must do' things we could include on our circuit.

Many Thanks

Axman

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Linden,

when are you planning to travel to the Nürburgring?? Are you going to ride on the Racetrack?? (It is available to the public!) if you do, just make sure that you don´t try to follow one of the "Experts"...it´ll not only frustrate the * out of you but will most probably end with you crashing :evil: (the Nürburgring is the longest - over 18 km´s - and most difficult to memorize racetrack in the world..!!)

All Hotels around the Nürburgrinc are prepared to acommodate Bikers and have maps with the best tours around the region.

And if you want to see a little bit more of the Country let me know..maybe we can arrange a meet and then I´ll make the Tour-guide..

Cheers

from the Axman

Topic author
BTLEE

Beitrag von BTLEE »

Hi Axman

Thank you for your interest and your reply - here are the broad details. Note, it is a totally flexible schedule and we are open to better suggestions (the arrival and departure dates are booked at this stage).

We arrive in Cherbourg Monday 21st May 11.30 am and will probably aim to ride to the Verdun area and stay somewhere around there that night.

Next day, Tuesday morning, we want to look at some of the war stuff in Verdun and later probably ride to the Prum area and stay there Tuesday night.

Wednesday morning maybe ride to Nurburgring and try a circuit (or two). Wednesday night stay in Nurburgring area, OR head towards Aachen via B258 (recommended by Ride magazine)

Thursday and Friday are free to tour around and stay in any recommended places in France, Germany or Switzerland.

Saturday night would probably need to be somewhere in France midway on the return journey home.

Sunday morning 27th May we ride to Roscoff to get the 18.30 ferry home to Rosslare.

Thanks and Best Regards
Linden
Antworten