calling Axman!!

Topic author
MadMav

calling Axman!!

Beitrag von MadMav »

Hi Axman , i have just got me a DOG ! and was wondering what to do first (after running in) it's my first ever RETRO!
having spent most of my life on modern sports bikes!

last week after doing 3000 miles in seven days on my 996 ducati around europe, i decided i was due a change and got the DOG today!!!!!!!!!

so what can i do to it to make it louder a bit more Grunty and in general take out any restrictions that the poweres that Be put in them at the desighn end!!!

any info would be real help full !
kind regards Mav :-D

Axman
Vorname: Axel

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Mav,

the only Retro-thing on the Bulldog is the engine.... and that definitely needs help ! Just in case you didn´t know, the bike is made in Italy by Belgarda..the Chassis is made by the same company that made the chassis of your duc !!

Here in Germany there a two or three companies that do Bulldog-tuning.: the one with the most experience in tuning the whole range of Yamahas is Yamaha-Krause in Dortmund ( www.zweiradkrause.de) As he has been into racing for many years now and works closely together with the technicians of Yamaha-Europe , he knows what he is doing...and best of all, he´s got an in-house Dyno...he doesn´t only tell you that your bike´s got more of everything after his tuning, he can prove it too..!!

The modifications : first the plastic airbox-cover is substituted by a Krause-made aluminum part with a much bigger venturi opening, then the carburettors are taken apart, rejetted and the stops - on top of the slides - are taken out. Then the exhausts are taken off the bike and modified for more flow (and a lot more sound!!) look into my album, there´s a pic of my bike from the back. After reassembly the carbs are synchronized and the bike is then put on the dyno for fine-tuning. (The jetting on my bike was changed twice till it ran as supposed)
I´ve got this tuning for two years now and am extremely satisfied. The dyno-sheet
on my bike says it now has 74hp and 94Nm of torque !!

The other company I know of is Yamaha Harenburg ( www.yamaha-onlineshop.de )
their tuning needs the engine to be taken apart - which I didn´t want - then you can have whatever you want (and are willing to pay for) from racecams to bigger cylinders and pistons..

The things you should change right away are : on pre-05 Models, the handlebar, on all models : the tyres - swap them for Michelin Pilot Road - and put stiffer springs into the fork (www.wilbers.de)

As I said before, look into my album and should you still have any questions, feel free to ask..

cu Axman

Topic author
MARS 22

Beitrag von MARS 22 »

:-)
Axman as we know and love him!

Topic author
MadMav

Beitrag von MadMav »

Thanks Axeman for the info!

i have today converted the gears to 1up 4down as thats the way i have always ridden!
and it's cool

more mods on the way and i will post pics as and when i can ! ps i'ts a great forum and i should be aroundfor a while in between my Nurburgring trips every week end !

cheers MAV

Axman

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi MAV,

you did what ??? Convert the gears to 1up and 4down ??

Excuse me, but this seems like * to me....(sorry)..

can´t be done.

cu Axman
...es ist ein Zeichen von Intelligenz seine Grenzen zu kennen..

Topic author
MadMav

Beitrag von MadMav »

Hey axman! Lol it's easy just think about the efect of putting a direct lever on to the shaft that comes out off the caseing!!! the lever faces backwards towards the foot peg and hey presto lift the pedal up with your toe and first gear appears then tap the pedal down and the next four gears follow!!! i road mine round for two hours today and it's perfect!! ps if anyone wants one please get intouch

i don't talk * ! axman no offence mate...mav

Topic author
MadMav

1 up 4 down

Beitrag von MadMav »

Here's the Mod !!! It looks Much Neater and the gear change is much more direct, if anyone wants one please get intouch...... ?Mav
Dateianhänge
ebay 001.jpg
ebay 001.jpg (91.59 KiB) 1538 mal betrachtet
ebay 001.jpg
ebay 001.jpg (91.59 KiB) 1538 mal betrachtet

Axman

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Mav.

ahhh, now I see what you mean ( I first thought, you changed the gearbox, and that is definitely a no no - thus the "*" )

But now let me in on your secret : What´s the use ?? I mean, the linkage on te Bulldog has absolutely no play, so why change it ?? And, as the Bulldog doesn´t lend itself to race-antics, it never bothered me while changing gears in a curve..

cu, Axman

Topic author
MadMav

Beitrag von MadMav »

Hey Axman. well for me the advantage is a smoother more direct Gear shift,coupled with the fact i have changed most of the bikes i have owned over the past 26 yrs(and thats a lot) lol.

i cant seem to get my head around the conventional way anymore,so for me it's just a preference thats all! sorry if you think i was having a pop at you ! as i asked for your help when i came on the fourum i just thought i would share some of my MODS with the guys and galls on here!!!
looking forward to shareing more mods with you and helping in anyway i can on the Bulldog forum!
cheers Mav

Axman

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Mav,

thats the spirit..!!

To each his own.. I don´t know how good your German is but maybe you have already read about all the mods peaople around here are doing to their Bulldogs..and quite a lot of them I can´t comprehend..but maybe it´s because I have other priorities...and that´s a good thing too..

I once owned a Ducati Scrambler and it too had the gearchange "the other way round" and on top of that, the lever on the "wrong" side (believe me, it´s a big moment when you tap the lever expecting to brake, and the only thing that happens is, that the engine tries to spit out a few valves..!!) and on top of that, changing bikes always confused me, not knowing instinctively which is what..

Anyway, i´ll put your mod up to discussion here in the forum and then let´s see, what the others have to say...

cheers, Axman
Antworten