new member intro

All about the BT1100

colruddock
Vorname: Colin

Re: new member intro

Beitrag von colruddock »

...as an extra point to the above advice, do so without using any throttle, choke if needed but no throttle. Just thumb the starter and keep it pressed til the big old girl takes over!

Topic author
davemike
Vorname: david

Beitrag von davemike »

OK next question for you guys in the know i am tidying up my bike and tried to take out the rear wheel today, it seems you have to
loosen the 4 domed nuts that secure the bevel box, am i right in saying this ? Well i took them off and the box wouldnt budge, so
what i am thinking of doing is loosen them slightly and ride around the block, hopefully the torque and pressure should brake
it loose. Your comments please. Dave.

Big Ade
Vorname: Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

David

If you do what you propose you will bugger up the final drive. DON'T DO IT!!!

If you want to remove the rear wheel you only need to take out the spindle and loosen off the brake arm. To take out the spindle loosen off or remove the locking bolt (end of the swing arm on the brake side) and then take off the spindle nut (on the diff side). You can then take out the spindle from the brake side. Then the whole wheel simply lifts out. If you have a difficulty it will be the cush drive that links the wheel to the diff. it simply needs moving back into the diff housing. Note which wheel spacers go where (use your phone caamera).

You really need to get and read a manual so that you can understand what you are hoping to do. Remember these bikes are at least 10 years out of production so spares are like hen's teeth, fortunately they are as tough as old boots if you look after them properly and don't abuse them.

Ade

Topic author
davemike

Beitrag von davemike »

Hi again ade is it just me and you on the english forum . Any way thanks for the warning but i did all the things you listed took out the
axle shaft removed the caliper completely as it needed cleaning up and a coat of paint, moved the torque arm right up out of the way
and then wiggled the cush drive off leaving the fins sticking out but the rim would not pass these fins. I am a reasonably competent
mechanic thats why i suggested loosening the four bolts. I decided to paint just the bevel box and try taking the wheel out at a
later date. I am now looking for a taller screen the stock one is so small its hardly worth being there, i saw quite a nice one i think
mra or similar with a flip up piece at the top about £100 i think i might go for one. Dave.

Big Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Dave

If you have the calliper off I would suggest that you give it a service, new seals etc. The callipers on some dogs were prone to sticking on very slightly, and anyway it is a good opportunity to inspect and repair. You can get the repair kit on eBay quite cheap.

Be careful tightening up the pinch bolt on the wheel spindle, if you strip the threads your in Helicoil repair teritory (expensive).

Ade

PS Lonely place this UK forum, anyone else out there?

colruddock
Vorname: Colin

Beitrag von colruddock »

I bob on to check for new posts once every week or possibly more, but as a newcomer to the bike I'm not often much help.

I had a taller screen Dave, wish I'd have known, I cut it down a little while ago as I didn't like it!

Topic author
davemike

Beitrag von davemike »

Hi colruddock what a shame i would have bought it off you. Make that 3 of us on the english forum. Happy bulldoging. Dave.

Doc44
Vorname: Jim

Beitrag von Doc44 »

I'm still here too fellas and I met another BT owner this week! I kid you not, there are others around.....

Topic author
davemike

Beitrag von davemike »

Hi Doc or is it jim nice to see there is life on the english forum. I expect this has been done before but i am going to give it a try
and see what happens. I am going to start a list of english+ members.
So lets start with me as i started this thread. 1 davemike (bristol) 2 boc44 (?) 3 colruddock (west yorkshire) 4 big ade (sheffield)
So please feel free to add to the list and state home town and we can get a new count of owners and where they are from.

Big Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

5 Mick P - Rochester (Kent)
6 John W - Hereford
7 John's neighbour
8 Andy - Preston
9 Dave - Derby (my son)
10 Pedro - Inverness

Now who is going to Treffen 2017 in Germany with Dave and me next year? It will probably be my last because I am getting on a bit now and I just got a chair from Shackletons You Know.

Ade

Topic author
davemike

Beitrag von davemike »

Thats very optomistic ade. Germany ive never been that far!! I used to be on the deauville site a bit of a boring bike but some good guys
and some great banter. What they do is choose a different location every year and book a hotel or for the stingey ones a camp site .
So what i would suggest is a location central in the midlands locate a hotel thats biker friendly and meet up for a few bevvys and
some interesting banter and put a face to the names on this site also any mechanical wisdom could be shared
hopefully in a weatherspoons or similar. I would definatly be up for that. Dave.

Krock

Beitrag von Krock »

Hi Folks

Krock her I am still alive and still having fun on my dog. I was half tempted to change my bike but can't find anything that gives me more smiles per £. So Its upgrade time over the winter. Baracuda Exhaust, Toppam kit (you can get these from Allen Performance) and Maxton rear shocks and fork cartridges. I am up for a meet, when when are you thinking, a winter social with or without bike or spring/summer bike meet?

NB I live in Cheshire
Cheers

Kevin
I'm dyslexic you aerosol.

Topic author
davemike

Beitrag von davemike »

Hi krock more dog owners coming out of the woodwork what i am proposing is choosing a central location say the birmingham area
and some rooms at a premier inn or similar and meeting up for some banter and a couple of pints when the weather perks up.
I was thinking may holiday or if you have a better idea i am open to suggestions. Dave.

Aleinfante
Vorname: Alex

Beitrag von Aleinfante »

Hi to all from New Zealand!
Just joined to this community tryng to get some advise and help from Europe, pretty sure that there are only one of two dogs over here and is getting extremely difficult to get parts ...
In saying that, a few weeks ago had an accident and now I'm seeking for second hand parts (tank included). Tried on Ebay but still with no much success. Also in a few pages with same result.
Does anyone knows where to go online to find decent parts?
Also anyone could tell me if the side air intakes (cover carburetors) fitted on the new models (2005, 2006, etc) would fit the same on a 2003 model? I've the triangle ones on the sides, just found a good deal online with the bigger ones from newest models.
Merry christmas to all and an even better new year!

PS: Sorry about my poor english, I'm argentinian living here since 2012.

Added in 16 minutes 20 seconds:
davemike hat geschrieben:Hi again ade is it just me and you on the english forum . Any way thanks for the warning but i did all the things you listed took out the
axle shaft removed the caliper completely as it needed cleaning up and a coat of paint, moved the torque arm right up out of the way
and then wiggled the cush drive off leaving the fins sticking out but the rim would not pass these fins. I am a reasonably competent
mechanic thats why i suggested loosening the four bolts. I decided to paint just the bevel box and try taking the wheel out at a
later date. I am now looking for a taller screen the stock one is so small its hardly worth being there, i saw quite a nice one i think
mra or similar with a flip up piece at the top about £100 i think i might go for one. Dave.
Hey Dave, maybe is a bit too late, but any way...
I've this screen that comes with my bulldog as a spare. Never used it (don't like it...) and since then has been storaged in my garage. Has a cover bag as well. Is in pretty good condition, no scratches as far I could see.
If U want it we can arrange some fair price for it. Just be aware about the shipping costs from New Zealand... (I know, bugger)
Dateianhänge
15491511_10154874220447112_1070845045_o.jpg
15419282_10154874213752112_1128145350_o.jpg
15609058_10154904413982112_514828321_o.jpg
15609150_10154904414032112_11252132_o.jpg
15628623_10154904413922112_698667775_o.jpg

Big Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Hi Aleinfante

There is a very interesting BT1100 in New Zealand owned by Jared.

Look at the post "BT1100 Turbo" in the English section of "BT1100 - Forum" and you will see an excellent post from Jared. Sadly the pics of his work are no longer visible but it is very interesting.

It would be really great if you could manage to find Jared and update us on this project.

Be lucky and ride safe.

Ade
Antworten