Dead Dog

Everything about the engine

Topic author
Big Ade
Vorname: Ade

Dead Dog

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Last week my son Dave travelled over to Germany (Stuttgart) on his Bulldog for Oktoberfest with his buddy.

They had a really great time and even had time to go to Baden Baden and up into the Black Forest for some nice rides.

Just before setting of back home his dog started to make a nasty noise. Under load it was fine but on over run there was a very loud whine and vibration. He did manage to nurse it back home to Derby in England but it was a very sick dog.

We took the swing arm off this morning and found that the nut and shaft that fastens the U/J to the engine has sheared off. The remains were floating around between the U/J and the engine.

It looks like a big job to replace this, does anybody have any suggestions how best to tackle this? We think it looks like a complete power plant removal, split the casings and rebuild. Is there an easier way?

Is this a weak point? I am getting a little concerned for my 35,000 mile lump.

Ade

Der Christian
Vorname: Christian

Re: Dead Dog

Beitrag von Der Christian »

Hi Ade, this problem is not new, Look here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13921&hilit=Kreuzgelenk
Gruß,

Der Christian

V2/8.......................................sonst nichts :!:

Topic author
Big Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Thanks Christian, I forwarded the topic to Dave and we will have to decide which way to jump.

My favoured option is to buy a pre-used motor assembly and use that lump in his dog and effect a proper repair on the good low mileage motor from Dave's bike.

The drill and plug fix might buy us some time whilst we source a decent low mileage (or undeniably good) power unit lump, there are two units on eBay at the moment that could be considered.

Ade

ronald53
Vorname: Ronald

Beitrag von ronald53 »

Hello Ade,

Here is an English translation of the German text written by Bicyclerepairman (see
viewtopic.php?p=164662#p164662. The translation is of an earlier version of that text. The additional text in the German version is to address the torque to apply on the 8mm bolt. It turns out that it is not easy to compress the collapsible ring any further.

Regards,
Ronald
AlternativeMiddleDriveAxleRepair.pdf
(830.01 KiB) 154-mal heruntergeladen
AlternativeMiddleDriveAxleRepair.pdf
(830.01 KiB) 154-mal heruntergeladen
BT1100 - 2007 / 75 PS / 100Nm.

Topic author
Big Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Ronald

Thank you so very very much, this is absolutely brilliant. I am particularly heartened by the notion that the large diameter nut is merely a retainer and that an 8mm replacement (suitably locked in position) should perform the same function.

When I replace the swing arm bearing on my dog I will pay some attention to this potential problem area.

Thanks once again my friend, I am in your debt.

Ade

PS we moved house recently and I found a pair of bicycle clips used by one of the competitors in last year's Tour de Yorkshire (they stop your trousers from getting caught in the chain), I will put them to one side and give you them when next we meet.
Dateianhänge
Old man on push bike.jpg
Old man on push bike.jpg (7.41 KiB) 2899 mal betrachtet
Old man on push bike.jpg
Old man on push bike.jpg (7.41 KiB) 2899 mal betrachtet

ronald53
Vorname: Ronald

Beitrag von ronald53 »

Big Ade hat geschrieben:When I replace the swing arm bearing on my dog I will pay some attention to this potential problem area.
May I suggest that you:
  • Lubricate the drive shaft splines using MoS2 grease.
      Check the staking of the nut that holds the drive yoke on the middle driven shaft. I get the impression that some members of this forum are satisfied by merely observing that staking has been applied, but never question themselves if the stake that has been applied will really prevent the nut from coming loose. To my opinion, you should not be afraid to additionally stake the nut yourself, this is a standard procedure in assembling the engine.
        I would also consider to apply some extra Locktite. There seems to be some sort of Locktite that is capable of penetrating between the threads of nut and axle. Google for Cyberbond RL 67 or Cyberbond RL 65.
      I really look forward to receive the clips! :cool: :cool:

Regards,
      Ronald
      BT1100 - 2007 / 75 PS / 100Nm.

Topic author
      Big Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Ronald

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

When I strip down the swing arm to replace the bearings I intend to drill the nut/shaft thread and drive in a split spring pin. That will make it absolutely secure no question at all.

Dave needs a drill guide to make his repair. I suggested that when he is back in the UK he post a help request to see if anyone can sell, lend or donate one (he is in Egypt at the moment).

Ade
      Antworten