Topic author
Jelvin
Vorname: Mike

Re: New member

Beitrag von Jelvin »

Hi Biggles,

Sorry for the late reply. I managed to pick up another tank that appeared on Ebay from a Bulldog that was being broken in Birmingham. It had a dent on the offside (opposite to mine) which needed filling but nothing like mine would have. Yesterday went and picked it up from the sprayers who've done a nice job on it. Whilst waiting for that I ordered some crash bungs. Not something I've ever considered really but certainly will in the future, certainly won't be riding this bike without them again.

Mike

Blubber
Vorname: Ralf

Beitrag von Blubber »

Hi Jelvin,

crash bungs are a very good investment. They might save some hundred pounds :-)

Have a safe ride, always!

Ralf
Meine Meinung steht fest - bitte verwirren Sie mich nicht
mit Tatsachen !

Big Ade
Vorname: Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Hi Mike

Hang on to your 'old' tank for as long as you have your dog it will be valuable to you. Glad you found a solution and the bike is back together.

I have just put some crash bungs on mine and had a real problem. On eBay I could only find one UK seller of bungs specifically for the BT1100 and they were quoting 3 - 4 weeks delivery and expensive at that (£80). Found the exact same items from a German supplier much cheaper even after shipping but again too late for me receive and fit before we go off to Treffen 12.

I had bought some universal ones from China (eBay) for £9, but found that they are not universal. They need a 36mm diameter plug 43mm long and a captive nut on an expanding sleeve. Still with me? Tried a good few machine shops and tool makers but all said "We use CNC lathes and would have to programme, tool up and schedule" - expensive for just two pieces.

I am not a quitter so lateral thinking head on - fixing needs to be very strong and expanding, plug needs to be able to expand and I need a failsafe on the installation. Solution was a 36mm hard wood dowel with 15mm hole at centre glued into the frame with Gorilla Glue at the appropriate point. When the glue had set (2 hours) the bungs were screwed in using 15mm Rawlbolts, these expand and the bungs are in tighter than a nuns quim.

Enjoy your dog and ride safe.

Ade

PS Gorilla Glue is fantastic and very very fierce, it will not come off your skin, it wrecks clothes but it sticks like sh*t to a blanket.

Topic author
Jelvin
Vorname: Mike

Beitrag von Jelvin »

Hi Ralf, it's funny but I've been riding for 30 years and never had crash bungs on one of my bikes but after what this has cost me I think ALL my bikes from now on will have some. They would have certainly paid for themselves this time.

Ade I like the lateral thinking. I don't think your bungs will be going anywhere in a hurry. Makes sense to use the wood as a 'rawlplug' (for want of a better word) into the frame. I wonder if you could do something similar with Nylon bar although I'm sure the hardwood will be just as resilient? When I get round to fitting the new tank I might get the old one filled and primed and keep as a reserve but hope I'll never need it. Sods law says if I do that and sell it, the day after, I'll need a new one.

Hope you all have safe rides to and from the Treffen and matching weather,

Mike

Blubber
Vorname: Ralf

Beitrag von Blubber »

Hi Mike,

you enlightened me :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was always wondering if our expression " Murphy's law" is known outside of Germany.
A tool drops down always in a manner, that it creates the most massive damage (for example)
Now I know :-D
Sods law says if I do that and sell it, the day after, I'll need a new one.
Thank you...

Have a nice weekend

Ralf
Meine Meinung steht fest - bitte verwirren Sie mich nicht
mit Tatsachen !
Antworten