BT1100 Turbo!!!

All about the BT1100

Topic author
Modur
Vorname: Jared

BT1100 Turbo!!!

Beitrag von Modur »

Hello everyone,

It is me, Modur, the crazy Bulldog owner from New Zealand.

Well since my last post (GSXR1100 USD Front fork conversion) a lot has changed both in my life. And my Bulldog has had a lot of drastic change also. So much so that I thought it warranted a new post here in the forum.

Firstly life changes:

A little over 6 months ago, I recieved a phone call from a mate I ride with who just so happens to own the local Yamaha dealership offering me a job as a mechanic in his workshop. Naturally I jumped at the opportunity. I'm in a very fortunate position of being able to learn from one of best motorcycle mechanic's in the city. Also I get to work on and often ride many beautiful and wonderful motorcycles and get paid for it 

So that leads onto the changes with my Bulldog.

Shortly after the last photo's of my bike were taken. I got the bug to extract some more power from my bike. This generally happens to me with all my vehicles. Hence why I never have any $$$ in my bank account.

While studying info about the XVS1100 engines fitted to our bikes I came to astonishing realization that the compression ratio is a mere 8.5 to 1. That's really low. Previously I spent a lot of time and money getting a GSXR1100 engine to have a compression ratio that low to build a turbo bike. Hmmm

The previously mentioned turbo GSXR I built was rediculously fast, did insane wheelies at all speeds, and was such a goog package that a freind of mine made an offer I couldn't refuse to buy my engine off me so as to put it in his race car. I had only had the bike running for a couple of months but like I said it was an offer too good to pass up. And I have since ended up build him another complete engine as a spare.

-- Montag 10. Februar 2014, 23:06 --

Right now back to how all this relates to my BT1100 Bulldog.

After the deal for the GSXR1100 engines I had a little money and most of the ancillary parts I needed to turbocharge a motorcycle engine. These being an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, blow off valve, and a Garrett T28 turbo.

I did many hours of research as reading information online is free, rebuilding engines because I got it wrong is not.

I found the following:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-VLtz0o3xE
XVS1100 with a Garrett GT15 turbo
I was very interested in this guy's bike as it has the same engine as a bulldog. The setup is lacking a bit of finesse and finish but there are good points to what he has done. One thing I did take from his videos is he converted the bike to a single Mikuni HSR42 flat slide carburettor.

Further reaserch found this Mikuni to be the carby of choice to turbocharge a Harley Davidson which led me to stumble on the following after many hours reading about custom cruisers:

www.streetfighterperformance.com
Buell XB12s with a Garrett GT2256 Turbo and 187HP!!!
Everything about this bike is stunning. There is a lot of work and thought gone into every aspect of the bike. The engine has had the full monty in the form of custom pistons and conrods. This is how come he can run 18psi of boost netting 187hp at the back wheel.

www.unclebobsturbos.com/newbie.html
A great use full collection of photo's and information
This website is a very usefull tool and has a lot of information written in plain english from a guy who has been there and made the mistakes before. I use it as a bit of a "how to" manual on turbocharging motorcycle engines.

So to sum up what I learned to this point
1) The T28 turbo I have is way too big for a Bulldog, It was kind of too big on a GSXR and that engine had more of everything, more capacity, more compression, and most importantly more cylinders.

2) A Mikuni HSR carburetor conversion will make this project a lot easier to accomplish. Both the actual pluming side of things from the turbo to the carby, and tuning when it's all up and running. Not to mention the fact that the standard carbs are a bit of a restriction and would be a bit small when trying to achieve more horse power.

3) Turbocharging a V-Twin CAN be done. There are many turbo Harley Choppers on the net, and I'm sorry to admit it but the Hardly Moving-Soon :P does have a very similar engine to a Bulldog in terms of similar stock horse power and similar capacity albiet with a 45deg vee.

4) Repeated late nights of looking at information on turbocharged motorcycles on the internet gets you into trouble with one's wife. And that's before she works out how much these plan's I'm hatching are all going to cost!!!! :wink:

stoppelhopser
Vorname: stoppelhopser
Re: BT1100 Turbo!!!

Beitrag von stoppelhopser »

you made me curious. But the links doesn't work. Do you have pictuers?

relaxed greetings from
stoppelhopser

Steve
Vorname: Steve

Beitrag von Steve »

stoppelhopser hat geschrieben:you made me curious. But the links doesn't work. Do you have pictuers?

relaxed greetings from
stoppelhopser
Hey Relax-Stoppelman,
what doesn't work.

Look:

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-VLtz0o3xE[/BBvideo]

and this:

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkKexzCngVg[/BBvideo]

Diese Anonym-Tool ist kagge, da schreit jedesmal mein Virenprogramm :evil:
"Die einen kennen mich, die anderen können mich!"
*Konrad Adenauer

xzjupp
Vorname: Jupp

Beitrag von xzjupp »

Hi,
Die Kameraführung ist ja wohl voll Sch.....!
Was ich vermisse sind ausserdem z.B. Leistungsangaben und wie lange der Motor hält! :-D

Gruss Jupp

Carsten
Vorname: Carsten

Beitrag von Carsten »

Das Beste ist der Dosenhalter am Lenker, links oben!
Carsten

spark76x
Vorname: Daniel

Beitrag von spark76x »

You are in the english forum!
Daniel ©?

Ich gebe offen zu mein ganzes Leben von anderen beeinflusst und inspiriert worden zu sein!

Bild

Topic author
Modur
Vorname: Jared

Beitrag von Modur »

For some reason when you click on the link it adds anomto/http to the start of the link. you will have to drag your mouse over the link and copy and paste into a new tab on your browser

-- Dienstag 11. Februar 2014, 21:27 --

Ok, so first problem for me to solve was the carburetor conversion.

When a KJS single carb manifold and matching Mikuni HS40 carby popped up on Trade Me (New Zealand auction site similar to ebay) I bought it straight away. Here's a couple of pics of the manifold and install taken from the KJS website.

Bild
Bild

The manifold bolted straight up to the engine even though it was intended for the earlier model Virago 1100. It turns out that Yamaha kept the inlet bolt pattern the same through all the XV models.

Even naturally aspirated the carb made my Bulldog come alive. I couldn't help but have a goofy smile on my face every time I cranked open the throttle. It wasn't quite tuned dead right but I wasn't too worried as the jetting would drastically change when what I have in mind comes to reality.

-- Dienstag 11. Februar 2014, 22:08 --

So after around two months work my Turbo fed Bully is nearing completion. Pretty much everything is custom built by myself.

Bild
At a glance things don't appear out of the ordinary from this side

Bild
It's taken a lot of head scratching to make everything fit. The exhaust has actually ended up further away from my leg than the old exhaust I made.

Bild
Garrett T22 mounted on a custom stainless manifold. Down pipe and exhaust also custom made. Waste gate is plumbed into exhaust also.

Bild
Shorty Scorpion can does the job nicely.

Bild
Oil Cooler top, intercooler bottom. Oil breather catch can tucked in behind intercooler also and vented by the small filter you can see

Bild
Mikuni HS40 Flat slide carburetor on a KJS single carb manifold. You can also see the fuel pressure guage attached to the fuel pressure regulator which is tucked in between the two cylinders

Bild
Pipework leaves the intercooler and heads under the tank to a 2 (ish) litre plenium where the standard air box used to be. Before popping out and doing the u-turn visible into the carby. There is also a Turbosmart type II blow off valve hidden under the tank also

Bild
Boost guage tucked in nice and neat beside the standard instruments

Bild
The view from my seat. I wsh the intercooler pipework didn't need to stick out so far on the left hand side, but it can't be helped. Those were the tightest radius mandrel bends I can buy in 2inch diameter

Doggerla
Vorname: Manni

Beitrag von Doggerla »

Hi Jared

Holy cow, impressive work! Did you already had the bike on a power testing unit? If yes, are diagrams available?

Best regards,
Doggerla

gothicwenne
Vorname: Werner

Beitrag von gothicwenne »

Servas.
Sauba sog i.
Wer aufhört besser zu werden hat aufgehört gut zu sein

Odium
Vorname: Jörg

Beitrag von Odium »

I want to see a video! Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapa2
[align=center]Es grüßt der Jörg
http://fzs-fun.npage.at
[glow=red]Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie auch behalten !!![/glow][/align]

avantissimogina

Beitrag von avantissimogina »

... na is ja mal ne bildschöne Implementierung in den schnörkellosen V 2 :roll:

Gell?

Doggerla
Vorname: Manni

Beitrag von Doggerla »

Mönsch Eric,

das sieht doch bei 200 Sachen keiner mehr :cool: . Und wenn Du Dich der Lichtgeschwindigkeit näherst, wird sowieso alles flachgedrückt.......

Bleib locker,
Doggerla

avantissimogina

Beitrag von avantissimogina »

Doggerla hat geschrieben:Mönsch Eric,

das sieht doch bei 200 Sachen keiner mehr :cool: . Und wenn Du Dich der Lichtgeschwindigkeit näherst, wird sowieso alles flachgedrückt.......

Bleib locker,
Doggerla
Stimmt ja Manfred, hab die Verzerrung bei Lichtgeschwindigkeit total ignoriert :lol:

So was aber auch :mrgreen:

linus
Vorname: Linus (Thorsten)

Re: AW: BT1100 Turbo!!!

Beitrag von linus »

Ich finde es toll wenn sich jemand Gedanken macht was so alles möglich ist, und dann auch noch umsetzt!
Meine Hochachtung!!
Aber ich für meinen Teil brauche son hochfrisiertes Teil nicht, mir reicht mein Hündchen so wie es ist!
Aber es ist nett zu wissen was geht!
Gruß Linus

Gesendet von unterwegs mit meiner neuen Teufelsmaschine!!!
die linke zum gruße,die rechte am gas!

"ihr seid doch nur neidisch,das die leisen stimmen nur zu mir sprechen"

Baumi
Vorname: Dominik

Beitrag von Baumi »

Respekt! :thumbleft:
Schöne Grüße aus Bamberg

Dominik Baumann

http://www.baumann-dominik.com
Facebook Airbrush
Facebook Privat