Starting problem...

All about the BT1100

Topic author
Diamss

Starting problem...

Beitrag von Diamss »

Hi everyone. My name is Jon and have introduced myself on the German side of the Forum :-D

And now I have a problem with my pet - my 2002 Bully was working fine until earlier and now she doesn't start at all :(

I am by no means a mechanic but have a (very) basic understanding of most principles to do with the general running of an engine. One of the reasons for getting the Dog in the first place was to work on it, learning as I go along, so here we are... Dog is ill, needs fixing, let the learning curve begin!!

The symptoms at the moment sounds as though the starter motor turns but doesn't turn the engine, thus giving a horrible grinding or churning sort of sound...
Reading through the forum, I found two German topics which seem to relate to this problem:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9323
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6801

My German isn't really that bad but I had a little difficulty on the context of one or two areas in these topics. Hence my cry for help in the English sector of the Forum :)
Welche ist der Polrad genau? Habe eine Ahnung, sicher bin ich aber nicht.

So far I have removed the Starter Motor and ran it directly from the battery and it seems fine to me, (not sure if this is a good test or not but it worked :) ). It can also be manually turned one way with some resistance but not the other. I've not dismantled it yet (couldn't get the bolts undone and didn't want to overdo it)
The battery is ok, this was tested with a battery tester thing.
From the sound of it I doubt if it is the Carburettor; though I do want to strip and clean the carbs as well as change the needles and jets.

Any assistance would be appreciated in fault finding and possible remedies. I'll be doing any repairs myself hopefully!
Right now I expect to open up the side panel and check the starting gears though I'm not really sure what I'll be looking for exactly. And I've only found one source of replacement parts, oemmotorparts.com.

Gruss, Jon

Lukka
Vorname: Lothar

Re: Starting problem...

Beitrag von Lukka »

Hello Jon,

welcome to this board.

Your description of the error can not, unfortunately, suspect goods. The symptoms go unfortunately to starter freewheeling in direction.

I wish that there is something else. good luck.
Grüsse aus dem MarburgerLAND

Lothar

WullDee
Vorname: Waldi

Beitrag von WullDee »

Hi Jon!
Lukka hat geschrieben:The symptoms go unfortunately to starter freewheeling in direction.
Maybe I should take my answer in english - if you don't understand me, I can translate to german :wink:
That's what Lothar called "starter freewheeling" is called "Anlasser-Freilauf" in german and a (well known) problem at some Bulldogs.
IF (!!!) these sounds are really caused by this, you may order a repair kit (?) at boats.net, if I remember well. This would be a more inexpensive way compared to your Yamaha dealer. But I highly recommend to verify Lothars and mine opinion of the potential cause by a mechanic first !!!
Good luck!!!

By the way:
According to dict.leo.org, "Polrad" is translated to
- field spider [elec.]
- magnet wheel [elec.]
- pulse wheel [tech.]
- revolving field [elec.]
Die linke Hand zum Gruß,
Waldi

Bild

YouTube ...... https://www.youtube.com/user/WullDee
Instagram ... https://www.instagram.com/wull_dee/

Topic author
Diamss

Beitrag von Diamss »

Thanks guys. I'm not really sure what else it could be

I can relate to the Polrad now :) logical really...

Gruss, Jon

Topic author
Diamss

Beitrag von Diamss »

These are good links and a third of the cost of a complete assembly if bought here in UK! I found them for around £600 plus... Will look to see what the delivery will be, but I could get them sent via the company :wink:

Danke. Bald bin ich wieder auf Tour :cool:

Gruss, Jon

jake
Vorname: Jake (John)

Beitrag von jake »

HI Jon,I have recently bought the starter kit from Boats.net and the price is half of what you would pay in England, the downside is that you will have to pay around £55 to customs. Saying that the price is not to be sniffed at, and the kit is very good and it is the upgraded version.

Topic author
Diamss

Beitrag von Diamss »

Hello again :) so, quick update...
I bought the Starter Clutch upgrade kit from US and installed it, that in itself took a while; after puting it back together and re-connecting everything I tried to start it.
It turned over and as soon as it got the fuel it started perfectly and ticked over as if it were new :-D

After joyfully dancing around :elephant: and crying tears of joy at having my Dog back I had to turn her off again for fear of suffocating in the exhaust fumes in my confined space...

I then opened a few doors and decided to start her again... I got the same horrible sound of churning as I had when it first died!!! :cry:

I've since changed the battery too but to no avail.
Looking through the oil filler hole, the starter motor turns the new Damper Assembly which in turn turns the idler gear 2 behind the flywheel, but the flywheel remains stationary.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

As it started without a problem after the re-assembly suggests to me that everything was installed correctly and all parts on the bike work.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy Christmas :occasion1: and a successful New Year happy_sekt.gif

-- Sonntag 13. Januar 2013, 16:25 --

Bike is fixed again :) One of the teeth in the one-way assembly had gotten stuck causing the springs to stay in one place abd allowing both directions.
Here is a short vid from the (still on bike) problem... (played with Windows Live Movie Maker too)

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6V0RmFdqZc[/BBvideo]

Fixed now and I'm now back on the road... could do with good clean and fine tune now.

Dieses Jahr doch nach Deutschland :-D

Gruss, Jon
Antworten