Car engine oil

Topic author
Big Ade
Vorname: Ade

Car engine oil

Beitrag von Big Ade »

OK I know now, but Halford's semi synthetic looked like a good price when I last changed the oil and filter. I was feeling quite smug until the clutch started to slip. Not much at first but laterly it has really become a problem. So I've just finished putting a new clutch in, changing oil to proper bike semi synthetic, new filter and changed diff oil too. No bits left over so that was a good omen. Took the dog out for a spin and what a difference! I'm in love again.
Just need some new tyres now and then I'm all set for the trip to Nohfenden in June. Currently running Bridgestone Batlax BT021 with a 185/55 rear, had no problems at all with these so will be replacing with same or the newer BT023.
Just thought I might share that with you.
Cheers
Ade

Axman
Vorname: Axel

Re: Car engine oil

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Ade,

car engine-oil ist a big no no for bike engines! And it becomes more troublesome because you have to throw away the clutch plates...no amount of cleaning will prevent them from slipping :(
Before installing the new plates you have to rinse the engine properly with oil for bikes (Put it in, start the engine and let it run till warm, then drain the oil and install a new filter.) Now soak the new clutch-plates in oil for at least 12 hours...if you don´t and install the new plates "dry" you will burn them really fast.
When installing the new filter, make sure that the small o-ring (around the lowermost bolt-hole) ist still in place. It tends to fall out and - as it is so small - you´ll only notice it when the cover starts leaking..

regards

Axman
...es ist ein Zeichen von Intelligenz seine Grenzen zu kennen..

John w

Re: Car engine oil

Beitrag von John w »

Hi Axman,

You are a Bulldog guru. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
I can only offer technical advice on things like 'How do I fix a plastic rat to my bike?' or 'Where can I buy a Bulldog soft toy mascot?' :lol:

See you soon.

John W :silly:
Antworten