Fuel pump ?

All about the BT1100

Topic author
mixagon

Fuel pump ?

Beitrag von mixagon »

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried running their dog without the fuel pump ?

The reason I ask is I know the Honda deauville will run ok without a fuel pump and in fact the pump is only there to get the reserve out of the tank. When the pump fails some owners just join the pipes together either side of the pump and run without the pump. Of course they have to fill up before they need reserve fuel.

I'm just thinking if the dog will run ok without the pump its maybe worth disconecting it as its something less to go wrong.

Mixagon

Axman
Vorname: Axel

Re: Fuel pump ?

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Mixagon,

you really do have funny ideas (what exactly do you smoke?? :wink: :-D )

The fuel system on the Bulldog, especially the carburators, needs a certain amount of pressure. That´s what the fuel pump is for...and that´s why - after turning the ignition on - the pump makes this whirring sound providing the pressure.

If you start pullig things off the bike that could eventually go wrong you´ll end up with the naked frame :lol:

regards

Axman
...es ist ein Zeichen von Intelligenz seine Grenzen zu kennen..

Topic author
mixagon

Beitrag von mixagon »

I would sooner call it research and being prepared :wink:

I presume the pump is the type of supply and demand with a pressure valve and a switch with electrical contacts which will pitt and eventually fail (if its similar to the honda one)

Most carbed bikes used to be gravity fed and I think its only low tank positions which needs a pump on some bikes. My xjr1300 had four gravity fed carbs and ran fine as do lots of bikes.
Do you know why the dog needs to be pressurised ? or is the pump just to get the last few ltrs out of the tank like the honda.

Wouldnt it be better to know in advance that if the pump failed you could still run the bike home using a small union pipe (stored under the seat) to join the two pump pipes together to be gravity fed. It would be much cheaper and quicker than a recovery truck :wink:

When I get some spare time I will try bypassing the pump.

Reguards what I smoke :) I dont :( its to many £££ here in the UK It would be cheaper to buy a new fuel pump :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mixagon

Lonedogg
Vorname: Tom

Beitrag von Lonedogg »

I had also considered, why a fuel pump
The Blessed TR1. had no fuel pump,
and the carburetors are still "nearly" identical.
However, without a fuel pump, we miss the petrol c o c k
for On/off/Res

I do not believe that without pump and without a petrol c o c k
the carburetors harm :huh:
and we again weight saving like the AIS Removal

Ooor, fxxx this automatic censorship :alright:
:jail:
I do not mean dick

:mrgreen:
Leis' is' Scheiß ;)
Das Motorrad immer mit der gummierten Seite nach unten bewegen, sonst verkratzt die Straße!

Topic author
mixagon

Beitrag von mixagon »

The Xjr 1300 (carb version,) does not have a manual petc o c k either it has the auto version like the Bulldog which turns on with a vacum pipe from the carb so theres no problem. :thumbup:

Mixagon
Antworten