Goldie silencers

Topic author
Big Ade
Vorname: Ade

Goldie silencers

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Just uploaded this onto YouTube http://youtu.be/_D9zX-_9PjY so thought you might like to hear my dog
It actually sounds better and louder in reality (sweet), what do you think?
Will I be OK driving hard through Germany or will I have to keep it quiet?
Thanks for all the warm welcomes, looking forward to the 9th.
Cheers
Ade

Axman
Vorname: Axel

Re: Goldie silencers

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Ade,

n i c e bike you got there..and even better music :thumbright:

The looks of a bike are always a matter of personal taste...and that´s why I would never fit a topcase or side-cases to my Bulldog..I know that these things are practical, but really, I´d rather freeze or starve to death.. :wink:

On the other hand, the "Goldie-cans" (are you seriously calling them "silencers"??) you´ve fitted look absolutely gorgeous! There is only one thing I would modify : as they look rather longish i´d chop off a bit of the tubing in the rear..looks a bit like the handles on a wheelbarrow :(

From idle up the engine stumbels a bit and sounds gargly (probably due to the total lack of baffling) What happens if you yank it wide open? Does it pick up on the revs or does it fall flat on its face and die? You made such a nice video, why not make another one while passing at full throttle? Then I could tell you whether they´ll let you pass on the border or shoot you on sight.. :-D

Don´t worry...we´re not all that bad...and we are looking forward to seeing you with the rest of the UK-Gang at the 9th international meet.

Regards

Axman
...es ist ein Zeichen von Intelligenz seine Grenzen zu kennen..

Topic author
Big Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Hi Axeman

I'm with you on the looks but the trip to Italy with strap on panniers convinced me that for touring any real distance a solid option was better and when they are off the look is not too bad. Also my wife complained that she slid off the saddle so the top box with back rest is good and somewhere to store two full face helmets when we park. Having said all that I still like a bike stripped down and mean.

The silencers are fitted with absorbsion baffles, you can see straight through and the length is critical for the overun rasp (music to my ears). Performance wise the pipes have no ill effect, no flat spots and plenty of breath to 7000rpm if needs be (but almost never). The mixture is spot on with both plugs a nice chocolate brown collour. The AIS is a bit of a pain making the dog pop on overun. These loud pipes alert the car drivers and frighten dogs too so they are a preservation and entertainment aid.

I will get another drive by video and post that on YouTube when the weather is a bit better and my son is able to get around without crutches (he has had a knee operation).

Thanks for your comments, see you soon.

Ade

Schoki
Vorname: Schoki

Beitrag von Schoki »

Hallo,
i understand only the half,
because in the school i talk more with my neighbor than i watch to the teacher.
I think if you are with your silencers in the black forest,
you will bring a lot of times with the green, ähh now blue, Persons (Police)

But i enjoy the videos on youtube. :-D
In my next live i will learn mor englisch, in my next live i will learn mor englisch, in my next live i will learn mor englisch,.....
Wenn SCHOKI, dann quadratische SCHOKI
(nach Gerichtsurteil: es muß bunte SCHOKI sein)

rawe
Vorname: Rainer

Beitrag von rawe »

Verry nice, thank you for the musik und the pictures (?)

Yes me to: In my next live i will learn mor englisch, in my next live i will learn mor englisch, in my next live i will learn mor englisch,.....

Rainer
Erwache und lache

mixagon

Beitrag von mixagon »

Big Ade hat geschrieben:
The AIS is a bit of a pain making the dog pop on overun.

Ade
Hi, Why dont you remove the ais ? I have and the popping has near enough stopped, and having no ais does not affect the mot plus the bike looks tidier.
I used two plumbers blanking off caps for the open pipe work left near the exhausts ports and rubber bungs for the other end.

Mixagon

-- Wednesday 4. April 2012, 18:50 --

Topic author
Big Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Mine is a 2002 bike and has run each winter on salted roads and I reckon the unions into the head may well be pretty solid. I am reluctant to have a go at removing the AIS in case I create any damage that will require a new cylinder head or motor strip down. I have resigned myself to putting up with the popping.

Ade

-- Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:27 am --

Mixagon

I would like to see your AIS removed bike, I am coming round to the idea of tidying up/stopping the popping. I often ride my dog through Matlock Bath on a 50ml Peak District circuit at a weekend can we meet sometime so that you can explain the AIS removal process?

Cheers

Ade

mixagon

Beitrag von mixagon »

Big Ade hat geschrieben:Mine is a 2002 bike and has run each winter on salted roads and I reckon the unions into the head may well be pretty solid. I am reluctant to have a go at removing the AIS in case I create any damage that will require a new cylinder head or motor strip down. I have resigned myself to putting up with the popping.

Ade
I'm not sure about the 02 model but on the 05 when you take the ais pipe off the unions stay in the head and thats where you put the blanking caps. I cant remember the propper name but there the ones plumbers use with an olive inside and you tighten two nuts. I painted mine black to blend in and they have been on above a year with no problems.
Its easy to put the ais back on again with this method.

Mixagon

Lord Sinclair

Beitrag von Lord Sinclair »

hello!

it's just the same with the 2002 model. you just take of the ais pipe and the union stays in the cylinder head. it's very easy and done within a few minutes.
here you can some some pictures (of a xv1600 wildstar but it's comparable with our machine). have a look.

best regards!

Axman
Vorname: Axel

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi,

the AIS-System is the same on all model-years.

When removing the system from the engine first you have to remove the pipes (to the cylinder heads and then cap the unions as Mixagon wrote)

What Lord Sinclair wrote is..sorry..BS! It takes a lot more time because there are more connections that have to be disengaged : there is a rubber-hose from the AIS-housing to the airbox. When removing this hose you have to fill the resulting hole with..ahh..something (you can glue a piece of plastic over it or use plastic caps, rubber plug..whatever..just make sure it is airtight. If not, the engine will draw unfiltered air...not good at all) Then there is the small hose connecting the AIS to the intake manifold..remove it and plug the joining. Make sure everything ist airtight. (to test it, start the engine and spray the manifold and the carburators with "brake-cleaner"...should the rpm now change there is a air leak somewhere :shock: )

I still have the AIS on my bike because I think removing it is not worth the hassle and I rather like the popping when decelerating :mrgreen: The only thing that bothers me a bit is the "clattering" from the AIS that everybody thinks comes from maladjusted valves... My 2002 Bulldog has 70.000 Km´s on the clock and up to now I only had to adjust one (1!) exhaust valve...and that was four weeks ago :-D

Axman
...es ist ein Zeichen von Intelligenz seine Grenzen zu kennen..

Lord Sinclair

Beitrag von Lord Sinclair »

@ade
i didn't mention that you also need to close 2 small openings as we were only talking about the units at the cylinder heads. nevertheless it's not a big work. i suppose that axman needs a little bit more of time and effort because of his age... :lol:
Antworten