Better Rear Shock?

everything about the chassis

Topic author
Nix

Better Rear Shock?

Beitrag von Nix »

I find the rear shock on my Dog a bit on the firm side so thinking of replacing it with something more tuneable.

Preload doesn't really make a big difference so wanting to play with the damping side of things.

Anyone recommend a good rear shock that improves the ride all round? :?:

WullDee
Vorname: Waldi
Re: Better Rear Shock?

Beitrag von WullDee »

Hey Nix,
lots of us use the "Wilbers 640" (correct me if I'm wrong, guys) which is an inexpensive way to change the rear shocks behavior.
Some others use Oehlins, but the Wilbers should be sufficient. Contact "Lukka" who has a reseller contract with Wilbers, since they have currently an "October Special" ...

By the way,
you should think about changing the fork springs, too ...
Die linke Hand zum Gruß,
Waldi

Bild

YouTube ...... https://www.youtube.com/user/WullDee
Instagram ... https://www.instagram.com/wull_dee/

Topic author
Nix

Beitrag von Nix »

Thanks for that WullDee - thought Hagon would've done one but couldn't find any listed for the Bulldog.

I'll look into the "Wilburs 640", any other alternatives out there?

Axman
Vorname: Axel

Beitrag von Axman »

Hello Nix,

when I bought my Bulldog back in 2002 my first complaint - apart from the handlebar and the rearview mirrors - was about the susupension : much too soft in front and too harsh, nearly unmovable in the back.

I got in touch with "Wilbers" ( http://www.wilbers-de or give them a ring 0049 5921 727170) a company I knew as "White Power" importer from my motocross days and asked for their help.

Wilbers offers a wide range of suspension components so I ordered stiffer fork springs, 10wght oil and the "640" rear schock plus hydraulic preload adjuster. The new , progressively wound Springs with the correct amount of oil not only makes the fork more compliant, it also helps maintain ride hight in corners and while braking. With the new shock, adaptet to your weight and your riding style, you can now use your Bulldogs suspension to its full potential. Just dial in how soft or firm you want your ride to be (you´ve got 23 clicks to choose from...and every one makes a difference)

My Bulldog now has 66.000 Km´s on the clock and I noticed that the damping in the rear was getting softer. Although Wilbers recommends sevicing the schock every two years I didn´t think this necessary until now...after over eight years :oops: After making an appointment with their garage I went to Nordhorn to get the schock serviced. After dismantling the rear suspension (they didn´t even have to take the rear wheel out!) the shock was completely overhauled with new gaskets, new innards and a polished piston, oil and nitrogen, and before reassembly they even cleaned and greased every bearing in that "triangle" connecting the shock to the frame :-D And all this for a measly 125€ !!

So, if you aren´t all thumbs you can install these components yourself. All in all it´ll take roughly two hours if you know what you are doing...icluding tea and f ags..

Any more questions? Feel free to ask..

Regards

Axman

p.s.: no, I´m not an employee of Wilbers and I don´t get a comission from them either :wink:
...es ist ein Zeichen von Intelligenz seine Grenzen zu kennen..

Topic author
Nix

Beitrag von Nix »

Many thanks for that Axman! Looks like I'll be sussing these people out by next Spring, hopefully. Such a shame the Dog didn't come with adjustable damping cos that would've sorted my issues with it. Here in GB there are potholes galore and to float over them would be a dream!
Antworten