Scotland NC500 ready

All about the BT1100

Topic author
Big Ade
Vorname: Ade

Scotland NC500 ready

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Welcome to all my friends and anyone else that knows me.

It was too hard to let my dog go, so I still have it and will be riding it for at least another year.

During lockdown I've had lots to do and some of this on my neglected bike. There was an electric issue to address. The cure was to fit a replacement harness, ECU, Starter circuit relay, starter relay, neutral switch, side stand switch and front/rear brake switches. Whilst doing that I also replaced the flasher with LED and an LED flasher relay along with a Land Rover LED headlamp built into a bespoke frame. All works nicely now and if I close my eyes I can still see the wiring diagram.

The paint was looking tired so I repainted the bike and panniers using rattle cans from a local auto refinishing company, it cost about £190 and I am really happy with the result. I also painted Davids dog too in Ford GT40 Gulf Oil livery.

Because we will be riding through villages, valleys and moorland and put my older and quieter cans on (they still set off car alarms). The bar end weights have transformed the ride experience, no white finger and the mirrors are now useful. I took it for a ride into Derbyshire and it pulls like a train, had a dice with a sports bike on a twisty road and he couldn't shake me off. When we stopped at some lights he was surprised that an old bloke on an old bike could give him such a challenge.

The first week in October David and I ride up to Inverness to then do the North Coast 500. A route around the coast, mountains and valleys with spectacular views and awesome roads, sadly being spoilt by too many camper vans.

I have attached a photo of the bike without the panniers fitted, that photo will come later.

Stay lucky and keep safe.

Cheers

Ade
Dateianhänge
A5307F3F-316C-4F89-8C08-E47BA5E4A24A.jpeg

WullDee
Vorname: Waldi
Re: Scotland NC500 ready

Beitrag von WullDee »

Adrian,
all the best for your upcoming journey, I'm really bit jealous ... but only a little bit, cause Petra and me already made it in wide parts in 2016 and 2017 (as you already know).
Please let us know about your tour and the weather conditions in October - might certainly become more scottish in autumn, wouldn't it?
Are you going clockwise or counter clockwise?

Oooh, would love to join you ...
Have a safe ride and get back well and healthy!
Die linke Hand zum Gruß,
Waldi

Bild

YouTube ...... https://www.youtube.com/user/WullDee
Instagram ... https://www.instagram.com/wull_dee/

DerFaule
Vorname: Stefan

Beitrag von DerFaule »

High Ade, you put quite a lot of work in that dog just to go once to scottland? I doubt that dearly 😛
Nice things you have done, and im awaiting the pictures of the Ford design in Davids bike.
Have lots of fun, good ride and stay healthy.
Stefan

Topic author
Big Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Waldi
We are going anti-clockwise, combination of wild camping and guest houses. The reason it is an October trip is entirely because of the wee beasties (highland midges). By October they ought to be gone.

I don't know why the image is upside down but if you click on it you will see it better.

Ade

Topic author
Big Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Done it!

Left home on Monday came back on the Sunday travelled 1,447 miles (2,330km), got wet despite the rain gear. Seen some fantastic glens (valleys) and munros (big hills over 3,000 feet) spectacular water falls (because of all the rain) and occasionally a massive glowing orb in the sky (Sun).

The major problem that spoilt the riding was the number of camper vans on single track roads, they outnumbered bikes by 4 to 1! When these were on the open road they would be at the front of a long queue of moving vehicles. Frustration made us take some risky overtaking and this was sometimes a bit unnerving on the wet roads with water spray and looking through our wetted visors.

Having said that, it was a joyous adventure and an experience I shall remember forever. Also if you like seafood, and I do especially crab, there are some absolutely world class restaurants and independent seafood shacks selling gourmet standard fair (not expensive e.g 4kg crab claws + 6 large oysters were just £38).

If anyone is thinking of doing the NC500 drop me pm and I will give you details of the hotels/B&B that we used and were impressed with.

Next and possibly last trip will be 2022 TT on the Isle of Man, that is if the pandemic allows.

Be lucky, be healthy but most importantly be safe.

Cheers

Ade

Black Dog
Vorname: Michael

Beitrag von Black Dog »

Big Ade hat geschrieben: Dienstag 12. Oktober 2021, 15:13
Next and possibly last trip will be 2022 TT on the Isle of Man, that is if the pandemic allows.

Cheers

Ade
Hope to see you there !!!
Gruß Michel

Wieder ein V2 - jetzt 90° quer

sandro
Vorname: Sandro

Beitrag von sandro »

The Isle of Man is one of these things, a real biker must have done in his live – that’s what it is said.
So I traveled to the classic-tt in 2019 to complete my list. – And what should I say? –
It was the greatest bike-adventure, I have ever experienced!
Therefore this is my appeal to all BOC-members: JUST DO IT !
yolo Bild sandro

Topic author
Big Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Michael

Let me know when and where you will be and we will all meet up.

I have never ever met anyone that has not enjoyed the TT. It is magnificent, awe-inspiring, frightening and pleasurable, there is nothing, absolutely nothing that compares to it. Don't pay stupid money to watch the racing in the viewing stands, sit at the side of the track and feel the racers flash past only 1m from your seat doing 180mph (290km/h)!!! On top of this the Island has stunning and varied scenery with some serious history too. Oh, and the sea food is fantastic as well. You might even be lucky enough to see a basking shark or minki whales from the cliff tops, seals are always around at the Calf of Man.

There will be four in our party and we think we have accommodation in Douglas (carried over since Covid stopped us).

2022 will be awesome, the Island wants to make it a TT recovery to remember.

Cheers

Ade

Black Dog
Vorname: Michael

Beitrag von Black Dog »

Crazy World .... wohow.gif
TT 2022 was booked up within in a few days and I gave up hope.

But being on the waiting list for an accomodation-ferry-package I got an e-mail yesterday morning that we are in. Tough it will be only for Qualifying Week we are nonetheless happy and very excited.

We will enter Douglas May 29th by the evening ferry and will be leaving June 4th. Our B&B ist on Queens Promenade close to the beach. Walking distance to Bray Hill is 20mins.
My son and me can't wait riding the course on our own bikes \:D/ :firestarter: we are actually on fire.
Gruß Michel

Wieder ein V2 - jetzt 90° quer

Topic author
Big Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Michel

We (6 men on 6 bikes) arrive at Douglas harbour on the Mannanan sea cat ferry at 23:00 on 3rd June. We are all staying in Douglas too so there may be an opportunity to meet up. Maybe we can sort something out as we get nearer the time, it still all depends on this dreaded Covid that just will not lie down and die. The Isle of Man government does not mess about, strict rules rigidly enforced with mandatory prison sentences if the Covid rules are broken (quite right too).

Stay safe.

Ade
Antworten