It is time

Topic author
Big Ade
Vorname: Ade

It is time

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Hello all

My dog has not been out for a real ride since last August. It sits forlorn in the garage with stuff piled on top of it and that is sad.

Why is that so?

Last summer a good friend of mine, Mike, who is an excellent rider was knocked off his immaculate Benelli 6 by an old lady in a Range Rover. As a result he spent 4 months in hospital with a crushed pelvis, multiple fractures to his legs, broken ribs and a broken arm. I met him over Christmas and he is still taking pain killers, can't get a good night's sleep and moves around on crutches and he expects long term permanent problems. Mike is only 59 and was very active canoeing, mountain climbing and running. All that is finished but he is adamant that he will be back on his bikes.

This has made me asses my own future and I have decided that at nearly 69 I should cash in my luck chips and give up riding. This has been a very difficult decision to make. To finally accept that I am not immortal even though I feel it when cranked right over on a fast bend or flipping through a series of bends on quiet Derbyshire roads.

I can't bear to have my bike sitting there reminding me that I am now old so I need to let my dog go.

I want it to go to a good home so would BOC be interested in taking my bike and offering it as a raffle prize?

I want 2,500 euros for the bike and all the accessories. At 10 euro per raffle ticket it is not a huge punt. Anything over 2,500 can be put towards BOC funds. I can bring the bike over on a trailer to BOC Treffen if this is idea is accepted.

This doesn't mean that I will end my association with BOC and I won't miss you because I am not leaving I just won't have a bike any more.

My eyes have been very moist whilst writing this but sadly I am persuaded that it is the sensible thing to do, * it.

So what do you think BOC?

Cheers

Ade

Eddie
Vorname: Ralf

Re: It is time

Beitrag von Eddie »

Hi Ade,

sad to read that words of your farewell , but this moment is coming to everybody. Sometimes I get these thoughts too.
If you see an accident and the consequences, it`s normal to reduce the danger of biking. We don´t know what happens.

I think, you will not sitting in an armchair and reading books an see TV all the time, isn`t it? Sometimes you will miss the Bulldog, but mostly you have no time to think about it.
Stay in the forum for the next time and become a friend (Bulldog and Friends)!

I will think of you every time I drink a whisky. Thanks for that once again.

Best regards, Eddie
Es liegt in der Natur des Menschen vernünftig zu denken und unvernünftig zu handeln.

sandro
Vorname: Sandro

Beitrag von sandro »

Must have been a hard decision for you, Ade.
Sooner or later, everyone of us has to take it.
You have listened to your heart, which told you,
that now is the right time for that step. - RESPECT :!:
yolo Bild sandro

WullDee
Vorname: Waldi

Beitrag von WullDee »

Adrian,
sad to hear your decision, but 'Im pretty sure you will be busy with all your other projects like Mrs Big Ade, your narrow boat, Cassian, etc
Wishing you a healthy retirement from your active biker time.

Check PM as well
Die linke Hand zum Gruß,
Waldi

Bild

YouTube ...... https://www.youtube.com/user/WullDee
Instagram ... https://www.instagram.com/wull_dee/

jake
Vorname: Jake (John)

Beitrag von jake »

Wow Ade, Sad news, but for you, you have made this right decision.
The time comes and you know, there are so many obstacle that wish to do us motorcyclist harm!

Lorraine went through a similar accident way back in 1985 - hence she only ever rode when she felt confident, now not so often as the roads here in our local area of Italy are pretty 'bad' in places.

Hope to see you at the treffen meeting, when you can get there - friends.
Sure you have lots to keep you busy away from biking.

All the best, Jake & Lorraine xx

Topic author
Big Ade
Vorname: Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

Thanks everyone for your comments

I have pretty much convinced myself that my motor biking days are done I am reluctant to take the bike out on the roads again. Somehow I think that this wakeup call is a very real warning that there is a Volvo, Range Rover or diesel spill just waiting to take me out. I would really like to have one last adrenalin fuelled blast around the Derbyshire Dales but I honestly think I would be tempting fate too much.

I never thought I would arrive at this decision but seeing Mike and how much he and his life have changed has affected me and made me very aware of how lucky I have been over my 53 years of biking. My survival is also due to the terrific brakes and good handling of the Bulldog, they have rescued me from some nasty moments, they are great bikes.

The bike is going but I'm not, I will still be looking on here and I hope I can make it to a Treffen but next time it will be as a friend and by car (MX5).

If anyone is coming to UK give me a call, be good to see you.

Cheers

Ade

Eddie
Vorname: Ralf

Beitrag von Eddie »

Hi Ade,

it`s a good idea to buy a MX-5, cause it`s not the same as a bike, but the feeling is great too. My wife has a MX-5 NC an it make a lot of fun to take slowly curves in a drift. You will like it...
Es liegt in der Natur des Menschen vernünftig zu denken und unvernünftig zu handeln.

Steve
Vorname: Steve

Beitrag von Steve »

Hi Ade,
it is your life. Make the best of it!

many greetings
Steve

never stop riding.jpg
My two cent :beer:
"Die einen kennen mich, die anderen können mich!"
*Konrad Adenauer