Just joined

All about the BT1100

Topic author
SulleysBoss

Just joined

Beitrag von SulleysBoss »

Recently bought a Bulldog so I thought I'd join a forum for information and advice about owning one. I've already broke it after a mere 12 miles so at the moment it's off the road until all the parts turn up :( .

Axman
Vorname: Axel

Re: Just joined

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi,
welcome here at the best Bulldog-forum :wink:

What do you mean
SulleysBoss hat geschrieben:I've already broke it after a mere 12 miles so at the moment it's off the road until all the parts turn up :( .
What broke and why? or did you trow it away?? More info please (maybe someone here has the parts you need lying around..)

Trala

Axman
...es ist ein Zeichen von Intelligenz seine Grenzen zu kennen..

Topic author
SulleysBoss

The rear brake caliper went on fire, I've now got to replace the disc, pads, pistons and seals. Just waiting on one piston and a set of seals to turn up,

Axman

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi,
SulleysBoss hat geschrieben:The rear brake caliper went on fire
this really is gross...some of the guys here had problems with sticking rear brake pads. The reason always was an extreme "dirty" brake piston. The solution was, to take the piston out, clean and polish it and then put everything together again with new seals and special brake piston grease.

We never found out why this only affects the rear brake and that only on a few bikes :huh:

greets

Axman

nissbird
Vorname: Philip

Beitrag von nissbird »

Welcome to the forum

John w

Beitrag von John w »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I'm in Hereford. Where is your location?

Best wishes,

John W :crazy:

Topic author
SulleysBoss

Thanks everyone for the welcome, Axman.....I think it was down to lack on maintenance by the previous owner but the trader I bought it off kept blaming me for "riding with my foot on the back brake". It had worn through the metal back plate of one pad and half way through the other. John W.....I live in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire......about 100 miles north of you.

Best wishes for the new year.

Regards...........Colin.

Axman

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Colin,
SulleysBoss hat geschrieben: kept blaming me for "riding with my foot on the back brake".
That´s the same lame excuse Yamaha Germany used when we complained there!! These complaints didn´t get us any positive results (the bikes where too old when the problems started.. :evil: ) except the advice, to observe maintenance schedules.
We now know the problem and keep an eye on the rear brake. Whenever I change the rear tyre - which happens every 2 years latest - I pop out the brake-piston 3/4 way and clean it with brake-cleaner and a soft brush. After that I apply a dollop of brake-piston-grase and that´s it...no problems any more.

I whish you a happy, healthy and accident-free 2014

Axman

Topic author
SulleysBoss

:( New piston and seals fitted, new braded brake line fitted, new pads and disc fitted. First trip out and 3 miles down the road the rear brake locks on again :evil: . loosened off a bleed nipple and the brake freed off, looks like I'm going to have to service the master cylinder now :roll: .

Big Ade
Vorname: Ade

Beitrag von Big Ade »

You are unlucky, the Bulldog is the most trouble free bike I have ever owned. I know I am tempting fate here but it really gives me everything I need and not stuff I don't need (like the ability to do 185mph and pull wheelies at 70mph). Don't get me wrong I love to do these things too (on my son's GSXR 750) but with full time availability my life and licence would be gone too soon.

Stick with the dog, it is a great bike and it is generally a very low maintenance and utterly reliable stead. There are very few of these in UK and the owners recognise their value and tend to keep them.

If you can make it go to the German owners Bulldog Treffen in 2015 I promise you that everyone will give you a great welcome and you'll have a really good time. There is usually a contingent from UK (John, Mick, Jake and Andy) so you don't even have to travel there alone.

In 2015 I am off to TT with my son's and taking the dog (again) so I might not be able do the 2015 Treffen.

If you are ever going to be over in Yorkshire let me know (I'm in Sheffield).

Good luck with the dog, ride safe and be lucky.

Ade

Krock

Beitrag von Krock »

Hi

You seem to have a really bad spell of luck :( . On a positive note I know who to contact if I have any problems with my brakes! :)

Soon as you are on the road give me a shout (I am only down the road in Northwich) and I will buy you a bacon butty up at the Ponderosa. 

Krock
I'm dyslexic you aerosol.

Topic author
SulleysBoss

Not been on for a while :oops:. Thanks for the offer Krock I'll try and catch up with you soon.
Looks like the rear master cylinder is not a serviceable part so I've now replaced it with a new one :-D and it flew through it's MOT just over a week ago. I did put the stock silencers back on though as the cans had no baffles in when I bought the bike, I did put a couple of universal baffles in for the MOT but I lost one on the way to work :oops: :oops: hence the standard ones. Looking forward to many trouble free miles now :wink: .
Antworten