STARTER PROBLEMS

Everything about the engine

Topic author
Gast

STARTER PROBLEMS

Beitrag von Gast »

Hy,

I've bought mine "Doggy" in february 2002, and made till now more than satisfying 33000 km altogether.

But last few months I have a problem with starter. The Engine starts realy hard, with a "kling" sound in the engine and usualy when I switch it off, it also ends with a hefty "kling".

I have read about, some kind of serial fault regarding Bulldogs Starter, and that in Germany and England, The Starters are being replaced with slightly different model that draws less electricity at the startup.

I would really badly need the information, on part number of that Starter, or startef from which motorcycle it is.

On the other hand I would also need an information, if anybody has experienced problems on instruments pannel when starting the bike. I have regular experience, that my power is drawn from the instruments (tacho and digital clock and km counter) and it resets to 0 km and clok to 1200.

There have been some reports that mass cable is to weak and that there have been made some instalations of condensors bellow the instruments pannel, .... Any Idea, Any Experiances?

Thanx!
Zoolo

P.S.: Regarding both problems, the information form English Bulldog Forum is that these modifications and changes are covered by Yamaha during the Warranty Period.
http://www.eboards4all.com/240386/index.html

JörgG
Vorname: Jörg
Solution for starter problem

Beitrag von JörgG »

hi zoolo,

you can used the starter from the XVS1100.
He have the same color like this from the BT1100.

A small manual to fix the voltage problem you found here:
http://www.bulldog-bt1100.de/phpBB2/vie ... =7158#7158
because the problem came not from the ground cable.
Das Leben besteht nicht nur aus "Wünsch dir Was" und einige Entscheidungen sollten einfach akzeptiert werden.

Der schlimmste Fehler, den man im Leben machen kann, ist ständig zu befürchten, dass man einen macht.
– Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915), The Note Book

Topic author
Gast

Re: Solution for starter problem

Beitrag von Gast »

joerg gierth hat geschrieben:hi zoolo,

you can used the starter from the XVS1100.
He have the same color like this from the BT1100.

A small manual to fix the voltage problem you found here:
http://www.bulldog-bt1100.de/phpBB2/vie ... =7158#7158
because the problem came not from the ground cable.
ThanX for your prompt reply, ... I've just riden my Doggy to Service, yesterday, with some printed material from forum.
Just Waiting on comment from our national Yamaha representative, about Warranty and other issues.
It helped me great deal to have information from this forum in talking to my mechanic. :-D

Will keep you posted, and hopefully we'll meet in person at one of the European biker gatherings this year, thanx for all the help. :cool)

Zoolo :P
proud owner of "Doggy called The B'52" (heh thanx to Akrapovic exhausts)

Topic author
jr

Starter problems affecting Display

Beitrag von jr »

My Dog today done exactly what you mentioned. Strange noise when I tried to start her, followed by Display reseting the trip and clock. Does Yamaha Know about this problem and do they have an official fix?

JörgG
Vorname: Jörg
Beitrag von JörgG »

Yamaha know this problems und since 09/03 the BT1100
have a condenser . But you must press so long the start-button
till the engine are run.
Das Leben besteht nicht nur aus "Wünsch dir Was" und einige Entscheidungen sollten einfach akzeptiert werden.

Der schlimmste Fehler, den man im Leben machen kann, ist ständig zu befürchten, dass man einen macht.
– Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915), The Note Book

Axman
Vorname: Axel

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi all,

I´ve explained the problem and the solution to the problem to jr a few minutes ago..

The trick now - whether you have the new mass-cables or not - for this problem not to happen again is, to keep the starter-button depressed till the engine has caught and is running.. Just dabbing the button causes the engine to counter-rotate thus damaging the starter-motor (which then causes the electrical problems)

But, as Joerg says, Yamaha is very well informed about this problem..

cu says the Axman
...es ist ein Zeichen von Intelligenz seine Grenzen zu kennen..

Topic author
jr

Beitrag von jr »

Just came off the phone with Yamaha UK and they are aware of the electrical problem. They also mentioned that not pressing the starter for long enough may cause the engine to counter rotate damaging the starter.
He said that the "Thin " bolts on the starter motor are there for that very purpose to bend, rather than damaging the crank case.
Its a pity there is not a decompression valve that kicks in during starting.

Axman
Vorname: Axel

Beitrag von Axman »

Hello jr

any news about your coming to Germany in June ??

Paul (from the Netherlands) wrote, that he is coming with some people from the UK

Is that you by any chance ?

cu Axman
...es ist ein Zeichen von Intelligenz seine Grenzen zu kennen..
Antworten