Noisy bike!

Everything you want to know about Tires

Topic author
stevej

Noisy bike!

Beitrag von stevej »

Recently bought a new BT1100. Problem with it is 'front end rolling noise'.
It's noticeable above 40kph. It's still there if you turn the engine off, so I assume it's not mechanical.
I've had the front wheel bearings andf front brake checked, and they're OK.
I've never had a bike make a noise like this before, has anybody out there had anything similar? It's fitted with Metzeler MeZ3's.

Axman
Vorname: Axel

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Stevej..

it´s sad that you don´t speak German because we had a thread about this not too long ago...

It seems that the noise you are referring to has various origins : first the tyres..apparently the Metzelers are the noisiest on the Bulldog (we have one guy that swears that the noise went away after he glued a felt-mat into the front fender !!) Michelin or Pirelli-riders haven´t got this problem (or it is so minor, that it isn´t bothersome any more) But as the Metzelers Z3´s really aren´t first choice for the Dog, try Michelins (Pilot Road) the next time they are due...

Then the brake-disks make noises too...it´s a whistling noise easylly mistaken for the noise every helmet makes..

good luck and cheers

from the Axman
...es ist ein Zeichen von Intelligenz seine Grenzen zu kennen..

Topic author
stevej

Noisy Bike

Beitrag von stevej »

Thanks for the information Axman. I'll certainly change tyres as soon as I can.
Can't understand why the brakes would be noisy though.
Otherwise the bike is fine, I've done 1600 km and it's running well.
Sorry about the lack of German - it's an English failing!!
stevej

Axman

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Stevej

the "brake-noise" comes from the holes in the brake-discs and is a problem shared by most bikes...

Anyway, it´s sad that you can´t (or won´t) come to Glauchau for the 2. Intl. Bulldog-Meet......imagine, over 100 Bulldogs and all in different stages of modification and tuning !!

But, as my mom used to say : "You can take a horse to the water, but you can´t make it drink"

Cheers, Axman
...es ist ein Zeichen von Intelligenz seine Grenzen zu kennen..

Spyder

Re: Noisy bike!

Beitrag von Spyder »

stevej hat geschrieben:Recently bought a new BT1100. Problem with it is 'front end rolling noise'.
It's noticeable above 40kph. It's still there if you turn the engine off, so I assume it's not mechanical.
I've had the front wheel bearings andf front brake checked, and they're OK.
I've never had a bike make a noise like this before, has anybody out there had anything similar? It's fitted with Metzeler MeZ3's.

Hi Steve, 1 month, 1000 miles and I too have noticed this noisy front wheel, I assumed it was the tyre (Z3) as it varies with different road surfaces, glad to have it seconded. :shock:

Axman

Beitrag von Axman »

Hi Spyder,

up to a few weeks back I had Pirelli Diablo´s on my bike and after I changed them for Michelin Pilot Road...presto...the howling noise from the front end - that I knew from the time the bike still hat the Metzelers - was back.. :evil:

To solve this "problem" take the front fender off and after cleaning it thoroughly glue a strip of - from one end to the other - foam rubber (I tried approximately 8 cm wide and 1 cm thick) to the underside..

No more noise.. :-D

Try it.

cheers

from the Axman

Spyder

Beitrag von Spyder »

Thanks Axman, I will give it a try :shock:

Topic author
stevej

Tyres

Beitrag von stevej »

Finally got round to changing my tyres having squeezed 7500 miles(12000km) out of the Z3's. After much deliberation I went for Dunlop D220's. The noise I'd had with the Z3's disappeared, the handling is great and they say they'll last as well!!!!
So far very pleased
Antworten