[Forum] >>  Archive  >> English Forum  >> English Technology Forum  >> Tire
Click to view full story of "Noisy bike!"

stevej: Noisy bike! (Donnerstag 19. Mai 2005, 19:28)

Recently bought a new BT1100. Problem with it is 'front end rolling noise'.
It's noticeable above 40kph. It's still there if you turn the engine off, so I assume it's not mechanical.
I've had the front wheel bearings andf front brake checked, and they're OK.
I've never had a bike make a noise like this before, has anybody out there had anything similar? It's fitted with Metzeler MeZ3's.

Axman: (Donnerstag 19. Mai 2005, 22:28)

Hi Stevej..

it´s sad that you don´t speak German because we had a thread about this not too long ago...

It seems that the noise you are referring to has various origins : first the tyres..apparently the Metzelers are the noisiest on the Bulldog (we have one guy that swears that the noise went away after he glued a felt-mat into the front fender !!) Michelin or Pirelli-riders haven´t got this problem (or it is so minor, that it isn´t bothersome any more) But as the Metzelers Z3´s really aren´t first choice for the Dog, try Michelins (Pilot Road) the next time they are due...

Then the brake-disks make noises too...it´s a whistling noise easylly mistaken for the noise every helmet makes..

good luck and cheers

from the Axman

stevej: Noisy Bike (Freitag 20. Mai 2005, 20:38)

Thanks for the information Axman. I'll certainly change tyres as soon as I can.
Can't understand why the brakes would be noisy though.
Otherwise the bike is fine, I've done 1600 km and it's running well.
Sorry about the lack of German - it's an English failing!!
stevej

Axman: (Samstag 21. Mai 2005, 07:14)

Hi Stevej

the "brake-noise" comes from the holes in the brake-discs and is a problem shared by most bikes...

Anyway, it´s sad that you can´t (or won´t) come to Glauchau for the 2. Intl. Bulldog-Meet......imagine, over 100 Bulldogs and all in different stages of modification and tuning !!

But, as my mom used to say : "You can take a horse to the water, but you can´t make it drink"

Cheers, Axman

Anonymous: Re: Noisy bike! (Montag 16. Oktober 2006, 02:27)

Recently bought a new BT1100. Problem with it is 'front end rolling noise'.
It's noticeable above 40kph. It's still there if you turn the engine off, so I assume it's not mechanical.
I've had the front wheel bearings andf front brake checked, and they're OK.
I've never had a bike make a noise like this before, has anybody out there had anything similar? It's fitted with Metzeler MeZ3's.
Hi Steve, 1 month, 1000 miles and I too have noticed this noisy front wheel, I assumed it was the tyre (Z3) as it varies with different road surfaces, glad to have it seconded. :shock:

Axman: (Montag 16. Oktober 2006, 09:46)

Hi Spyder,

up to a few weeks back I had Pirelli Diablo´s on my bike and after I changed them for Michelin Pilot Road...presto...the howling noise from the front end - that I knew from the time the bike still hat the Metzelers - was back.. :evil:

To solve this "problem" take the front fender off and after cleaning it thoroughly glue a strip of - from one end to the other - foam rubber (I tried approximately 8 cm wide and 1 cm thick) to the underside..

No more noise.. :-D

Try it.

cheers

from the Axman

Anonymous: (Dienstag 17. Oktober 2006, 00:39)

Thanks Axman, I will give it a try :shock:

stevej: Tyres (Sonntag 10. Dezember 2006, 17:06)

Finally got round to changing my tyres having squeezed 7500 miles(12000km) out of the Z3's. After much deliberation I went for Dunlop D220's. The noise I'd had with the Z3's disappeared, the handling is great and they say they'll last as well!!!!
So far very pleased